Chapter 4

It was my first Friday at school today. Just like usual. Go to school, sit for four hours, eat lunch by myself, then go back and sit through three more hours. Normal. Until the final bell rang. I walked to my locker like always, but in the process, I got trampled by a herd of hungry teenagers. I was shoved out of the way by someone running to their friend. I fell to the floor with a thud. My books flew everywhere and the person didn't even turn around. 

People suck. 

"Katniss!" I start to get my books, but I'm helped with two soft warm hands. "Katniss, are you okay? I saw it all, people are awful." I look up to Annie's comforting green eyes. 

"I'm okay." I say and open my locker. 

"Hey, you know, we should hang out sometime!" 

"Um okay, sure." 

"Tonight I'm going to a party with Finnick, Gale, Madge and Peeta, If you want to come. We could pick you up!" 

"I have to work tonight. I missed my shift last night, so I don't think I can get out of going." Annie now wears a pouty face. 

"Aww, well that stinks! Maybe you can next week. Wait, why did you miss your shift?" 

"Oh, um I fell asleep, and I slept through it. I get nightmares and hardly sleep at all, so my boss might understand." 

"Oh, I'm so sorry Katniss!"

"Nah, its fine. I'm used to it."

"Lets go find everyone else!" she squeals grabbing my hand and yanking me through the ocean of bodies. 

We stumble out of the crowd and I almost crash into Gale. "Oh! Sorry Gale! I'm so tiny, I kinda get pushed around." 

"Katniss! Haven't seen you in awhile, where've you been?" 

"Oh, um you know, around..." 

"Hey!" Madge says suddenly. She doesn't say much, so it kind of startles me. "Who all is going to that party tonight?" Gale, Annie Finnick, and Madge raise their hand. 

"Peeta? Why aren't you going?" Finnick wonders out loud. 

"Oh. It's my brothers birthday, so we're going out for dinner." 

"Aww, come on man, after that please?" Finnick pleads.

"I guess maybe." Peeta sighs. I really don't think he wants to go. 

"I should probably go. See you all later." I say waving goodbye. 

They wave back before returning to their own conversation. I disappear back into the sea of people, and begin to get shoved again. 

People suck. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Peeta's Point of view

 I really don't want to go to the party. Everybody gets drunk. I really don't want that to happen to me. Its not something I need to make me happy. But I am loyal, So if I can, I will. I walk through the front door of my house and trudge up to my room grabbing a plate of cheese buns on the way up.  I flop down on my bed and pull my phone out form my pocket. The group is texting on the group chat that I rarely take part in. I only really answer if they ask me a question or I have something to say, which  rarely do, because I'm a pretty quiet kid. My brother Alex on the other hand, not so much. He's crazy, the bold one, the one whose not afraid to do anything. It's the same way with my other brother Connor, he's always got a new girl at his side, not shy at all. Their fearless. 

"Hey bro! Haven't said happy birthday to me yet today, hope you didn't forget that would suck. Twenty two today! Come on, Bro!" Alex always makes us make a big deal of his birthday. We make a huge cake, go out to eat, and throw him parties. Last year,  my family forgot my birthday. I am the forgotten third kid.