Chapter Twenty Five

Author's Note: I understand you've all waited long. But there's this thing called sleep that I need VERY badly. So I am sorry that I haven't been around. Here's the next chapter, but please, just let me sleep.

Changed my mind. Three years in the future.

Enjoy. 

Little Edward

Chapter Twenty Five

Alice

Three years later...

Some say that time passes quickly for vampires.

They must be delusional. 

It's been four long years since I've seen Bella or Emmett speak or even move. Four years since I saw Edward too, even though he wasn't our Edward anymore. Three years since the battle with the Volturi and Bella was almost killed, all without knowing it. Although there were only two years left of this pain, this agony that has stretched over fifteen years of our lives, it feels like this never-ending loop won't stop no matter what we do.

Aro's removal of Edward's gift was a blow to the old Edward's memory. Admittedly, we were all furious with him, but then we were forced to see the way he saw it, and knew he'd made the right decision.

"How could you, Carlisle?! That was Edward's choice to make, not yours!" Esme screeched one day, as we were all sitting by the fireplace late one night. Jasper had brought the subject up, and Esme continued it angrily. 

"We didn't have time for Edward to turn back! He was going to kill them both, Esme, can't you see? I know for a fact that if Edward changed back to find his brother and mate dead because I chose not to remove his gift, he'd kill himself there and then! Besides, she's my little girl. She means the world to me. So does Emmett," Carlisle's voice softened. Esme's didn't though.

"We wouldn't have let them kill Bella and Emmett! We had the wolves and Garrett, plus Jazz, Rose, and Alice. We could've stolen Bella away from him!"

"THree of the wolves were already dead by then, Esme. We were losing. We can't take chances with them. Aro and Caius were lifting a match, it would've been a split second and nothing for us to do."

"Alice, dear. Can you go talk to Rose? I think she's getting stressed out," Esme walked into the room, looking tired and ill, even for a vampire. She, along with Garrett, Carlisle, Rosalie, and Jacob, had been rsearching endlessly for other antidotes for the coma. So far, they'd been unsuccessful. 

I stood and made my way to the other room, where they were laid out, looking the same they did four years ago. Bella's auburn hair billowed out behind her in its wild waves, while Emmett was pale and his hair still smooth and dark. Rosalie laid between them, curled into Emmett's side, weeping quietly, her eyes dry and black. 

"Rose..." I didn't have the heart to say anything else. Rosalie clutched at her husband, whimpering to him in a soft voice. 

"Emmett, Emmett, please! Please, Emmett, please, please, please!" she whispered. Her voice, broken and hollow, shattered my unbeating heart, and if Em had been awake to hear it, he would've howled at the pure misery his wife was in. She hadn't brushed her hair in months, nor had she changed clothes or hunted in weeks. She needed intense help, only she wouldn't let anyone care for her. She was too damaged to accept the support we so desperately wanted to give her. First raped, now unwillingly abandoned. She led a hard life, and we could all see that she could not hold on much longer. 

"Alice. Look for him. Will it happen?" The croak that erupted from Rose's lips didn't surprise me. I obeyed her orders, knowing what she meant. Would he wake up? When? How?