Chapter Twenty One

Author's Note: This is officially one of the last few chapters of this story. Sequel? Probs not, since what else could be said about this tragic pair of forsaken soulmates? Tell me if you think otherwise!

Little Edward

Chapter Twenty One

Rosalie

One year. 

One whole year. 

Ever since Edward had taken off with his slut, none of us had been the same. How could we be? 

Emmett and Bella had fallen into a coma within three weeks of Edward's departure. We had no way to wake them, and I hadn't heard either of their voices in one whole year. 

It was pure hell. 

Alice no longer went on extravagant shopping trips. She was dressed in jeans and a regular T-shirt most days, grey Converse slipped over her feet. She sat on the couch 24/7, searching the future for random people. Somtimes us, sometimes Jackass and Bitch, sometimes people she had never met before. Just to pass the time. 

Jasper had taken to sitting with his siblings. I had known he was close to both Emmett and Bella, but I had clearly underestimated his love for them. He brushed Bella's long hair some days, while others he commented on football games to his brother. It was heartbreaking, to say the least, to watch him beg them to wake. 

Esme spent her time planting in the garden. She rarely spoke anymore, the maternal light gone from her eyes. She had lost both her baby and her youngest son. She would plan out the outline of her garden at night and would plant during the day. 

Carlisle followed Jasper in sitting with Bella and Emmett. He mostly read to them at night, sometimes from medical books, sometimes poetry, and sometimes their individual favorites, like Jane Austen for Bella and James Patterson for Emmett. 

Garrett had moved in with us, taking to our diet. He, like my brother and father, sat with the unconscious vampires. Unlike Jasper and Carlisle, however, he remained silent, just staring into their faces. He didn't speak much, unless asked a direct question. 

I busied myself rearranging the house whenever I could. It felt like there was always some sort of imperfection in my periphery, trying to atract my attention, which it succeeded in doing. I would have to fix the room around, until the flaws began to reappear again. 

I could not bring myself to look at my unresponsive husband and sister. They were laid out on a raised air mattress on the living room, side by side, hands clasped. Their honey-colored eyes stared sightlessly up at the ceiling. We were unable to close their eyes, and it gave me mental shivers just to think of the lack of life in their eyes. We'd lost all hope that they would ever return to us. 

One day in the winter, Alice froze on the sofa. A reaction like this had not been provoked since they left. I darted to her side, Esme with me. The boys didn't acknowledge the sudden change, still watching over Emmett and Bella. 

"The Volturi. They're coming. Coming for us," Alice breathed, an icy temperature filling the room instantly. The boys were on their feet, looking at the future-seer questioningly. 

"When?" Jazz questioned his wife, a crazed look in his onyx orbs. "I wanna have a word or two with them." 

Garrett cracked his knuckles loudly, snarling as he did do. "Or three or four." 

"No difference. "

"Guys! They'll be here tomorrow!" 

Edward

"Eddie! Can you make me a sandwich?" Emma squealed as she flung herself into my arms. I sighed. 

It had been a year since I'd left my family. A year since I'd broken Bella's heart and left to live with Emma in Colorado. Life had been okay, but what I had thought would be perfect had turned out to be not what I expected. 

The Cullens were always in the back of my mind, and I could never stop thinking about them, Bella especially. I knew I had hurt her. Badly. For weeks after my departure, I received hate-filled voicemails on my cell phone from the other vampires. But their voices had all sounded broken and hollow. SOmething had happened, and I knew it was bad.

Unfortunately, after five weeks of me trying to actually talk to the Cullens over the phone (they never talked to me, just left voicemails), Emma caught me. She threw my phone somewhere in the forest and got me a new number when she thought I was sleeping. She said someone had called and she had gone to answer it when she slipped and it went flying. Little did she know, I had watched through my window as she hurled my cell into the nothingness. 

"Sure thing, birthday girl," I said, my tone light and cheery for Emma. The now sixteen-year-old looked stunning in a navy A&F dress with floral print. (Fun Author Fact: I don't really like Abercrombie. More of a Free People kinda girl)

My sixteenth birthday, which had been two months ago, was a disaster. Emma had tried to thorw a party, only it ended up her getting angry when I said that I wished my family was here for my birthday. 

I wished my family was here, period. 

Author's Note: This would have been longer, better, and up sooner had it not been for my laptop's lack of battery. It died on me when I was writing this, so I lost everything. THis version is nowhere near as good or as long. Sorry.