Chapter Twenty Three

Author's Note: Guess who had their first day back to school today? That's right, this girl, writing this now. Don't I sound enthusiastic? Ugh, yeah right. 

Little Edward

Chapter Twenty Three

Jasper

I snapped another vampire's neck, letting the body fall to the ground before rushing on to the next one. Dealing with the Volturi guards required no battle skills and simply speed. Kill one and move on to kill the next. Do not give them the chance to attack you. 

However, my family was not faring as well as I. Rose, used to having Em hover over her protectively, struggled to keep her head up. I tried to get over to her, but the amount of vampires was too great to break through. 

I kept my mind on what I was protecting. Who I was protecting. My younger brother and sister. My funny, dimpled, adventurous, fun-loving brother Emmett, who was my best friend. We wrestled together, we watched sports together, we hunted together, we played video games together - everything we did was together. And by doing this, I would save him. 

My baby sister. Bella. She brought not only the old Edward immense happiness, but all of us as well. She was the only person that really listened to my stories of the history. Not even Alice bothered to actually listen to me. But Bella did. We liked the same authors, we watched the same movies, we even wore the same kind of shoes (Vans). We had so much in common, and to lose the girl that I could go to with anything was too unbearable to think about. 

All of a sudden, a maniacal laugh rang through the cold, sizzling air. Both sides of battle turned to the source of the noise. Our hearts sank, and several of my siblings cried out in horror. 

Atop the roof of our house that was still quite visible in the misty atmosphere, Aro stood with a slender brunette dangling from his hands. Beside him, Caius lifted a match.

And behind them both, a very familiar blond girl stood with a sinister smirk on her lips.

Edward

Once Emma left, I immediately pulled out my box of things from my old home, like the scrapbook that Emmett was so strangely adamant that we create.

Little Edward, it read as the title. Little Edward. The name sent a ripple through my chest, as I thought of my family. The family who had loved and cared for me since I was little. And I'd left them. Hurt them. Betrayed them. 

I shook these thoughts away. I did it for the girl I loved. THe girl that I adored. And I would do anything for my Emma, including hurt my family a million times over. 

I flipped the page over, to see a photo of Bella, looking the same as she did a year ago, holding a bronze-haired baby, an adoring smile on her face. Me. My heart snapped inside. 

The next photo was captioned, "Toys!" I was about four, running around the living room, holding a toy car and a toy train, giggling. Behind me, Em, Rose, Alice, Jasper, Carlisle, and Esme sat on the couches and chairs, watching me with amusement written across their faces.

I looked at more pictures of me throughout my life, and laughed at some of the sillier ones, while frowning at the sad ones.

I turned the page, and my breath caught in my throat. "The day I lost my Edward," read the caption. It was a photo of me kissing Emma, her hands woven through my hair, mine resting on her waist. Bella and Emmett were in this photo too, Bella's unruly hair flying behind her as she tried to lunge at us, while Emmett's massive arms pulled her back, making her look like a wild animal. Dark black bruises rested beneath her black eyes, and scars and cuts were visible against her skin. This was obviously taken after one of the Volturi's many attacks. 

I pushed the scrapbook away roughly, and pulled the box closer to me. There were many familiar items in the box, such as drawings from when I was younger, my favorite toys, etcetera, etcetera. Resting beneath it all was a handwritten letter and a vial filled with a light pinkish liquid. Venom. I lifted the note into my hands. 

Dear Edward,

I wrote this a week after you left and had Alice sneak it into this box, along with a vial of my venom. Just so you would remember who I used to be. 

I just want you to know that I wll still love you, no matter how much pain I endured these past years. I hope you remember us, your true family. I  really do. 

That's all then. I love yo.......

The ink trailed off, as if Bella had fallen asleep in the middle of writing it. At the bottom, an address was written. 

173 Killanburn Lane

I closed the book softly, tears in my eyes. I missed them. I needed them. 

But, as I told myself repetitively, I needed Emma more.

Right?

Author's Note: Yes? No? I'm sorry, more problems at home. For those of my faithful readers that read my other stories, my parents' divroce has kind of gotten in the way of my writing schedule, and I don't ever have time to sit down and create a great chapter. Sorry. Can't pormise that the next chapter will be within a week, but hopefully within two.

-PCM