Chapter Fourteen: First Kisses.

When he stepped outside on the Balcony there was no sign of the Schatten assassin. Alex searched the darkness for another ten minutes before he came back inside. 

He danced six more dances before he discreetly left. 

There were some investment plans he had to go over, and also answer to the business correspondence which his secretary had brought him in the morning. 

 In truth he was in dire need of some time alone to think over what games the Schatten were playing.

 Alex went straight for Griffin's personal library after taking his ledgers and files from his room.There was a distinctive smell of books and ink that laced the air of the library. 

Alex headed for the drinks cabinet, pouring himself half an inch of bourbon. 

Suddenly he heard the sound of pen scratching against paper, and he walked towards it,drink in hand.It was coming from where Layton's study table was, nestled between a few shelves of thick titles.

Lea had already heard him approaching, and she looked at him with surprised eyes. Candlelight provided a warm glow to the secluded space. There were two sturdy chairs in front of the huge desk. A glass window took up the entire wall behind her, but was covered with curtains at the moment. The desk was scattered with books and a few wayward pages.

"I didn't know the library was occupied" Alex thought aloud. Layton had told him to work in his personal library because guests frequently visited their country estate. The main library always had people milling in. 

 Her eyes widened in alarm when her kidnapping in the Greenhouse swept through her mind, her eyes fixed on the space behind him as if she expected someone to bound in after Alex. 

"That depends" Lea began, frostily, "on whether you'll tie me up again if it is". 

Her hair was spilling over her shoulders, straight, unlike the haphazard waves she had the day Damon was shot. She was glaring at him from behind her glasses, dressed in a wrinkled afternoon dress. Her eyelashes were darkened with a black tint that gave her a striking look, and pink powder dusted her cheeks. 

  Alex felt his lips curve at the corners as he saw her sitting Indian style on Layton's leather chair looking rumpled and tired yet perfectly at ease.   

There was something exotic about her;  Alex couldn't pin point exactly what it was. 

It wasn't just a pretty face because Alex had seen so many of those. 

Women like China dolls; beautiful to look at. 

 Puffed up, painted, and paraded around like cattle at an auction.

  Trying on whatever masks people wanted them to wear. Repeating the same mundane conversation, content in the same bubble they had been cadged in their entire life. Then being deposited to another cadge when the time came.

 Except a few wayward hits, and they'll crack, exposing the hollowness beneath it. 

Lea on the other hand was like some peculiar voodoo doll in comparison. 

Eyes flaring with her every emotion. He'd observed her with the others when the girls were having tea outside; Cheerful, funny, and sweet. 

There was an obvious mix of childishness and fragility underneath her confident demeanor. 

But if you looked closely you could also see a dangerous amount of willfulness.  

"I apologize for what happened that afternoon, but you aren't in any danger from me" Alex said with an earnest look "I hope you're not abstaining from the festivities on my account".