Chapter 13: Wasted Hearts.

A young Beatrix Riotan aboveee

This chapter is for any and every person who has felt unrequited love. 

"Love is never lost. If not reciprocated, it will flow back and soften and purify the heart" - Washington Irving. 

"Darling, if you glower at the next girl that smiles at you, they're going to escort you out of the ball"  

 Alex's mother cast her son a sideways look. 

They were attending another  ball, the music, the continuous chattering, and the not so subtle flirting only made Alex more dour. 

"I'll be much better company if you do the honor of dancing with me" he said.

 His mother folded her fan, and tapped him with it, saying "There are so many lovely girls you can ask; Go enjoy yourself. I'm much too old for this sort if thing anyways".

 Alex picked her hand and put it on his sleeve, leading her to the dance floor before she could protest again. She didn't, not wanting to make a scene, but he could already see her face fill with happy color.

 "I already have the loveliest woman on my arm. I don't have to look anywhere else" he said, grinning at his mother as they joined the circle of dancers.He used the opportunity to look around for Lea. Alex hadn't seen her after the Glasshouse incident, and he needed to make sure that she was keeping her silence.  Her mother gracefully moved with the first few notes of the waltz. 

 "Don't tell me that actually works on women" she said, laughing.

 "Well it seems as if it does" he gave a nod towards a group of his mother's friends that were cooing at them. Age had softened his mother's features, her green eyes a lighter shade than he remembered them to be, lined with dark circles. 

After Alex found out about his illegitimacy he was filled with anger at his father but he couldn't somehow do the same thing to his mother. Beatrix Riotan had raised him with so much genuine love and affection that he couldn't believe the truth that she wasn't his real mother. His childhood was filled with colorful memories of them. 

She had every right to shun and ignore him but she hadn't. 

Anthony had cheated on Beatrix during their engagement with Alex's biological mother. Months after their wedding a child born out of a wedlock appeared at their townhouse with a note, and instead of letting him rot on the streets like most Aristocratic wives, she had took him in as her own.

 Alex never really found out why she had done that with so much ease but he loved her so much for it. 

 "I decided to marry your father during a waltz" she said, breaking Alex out his reverie. 

"He must've been a phenomenal dancer" he said with merriment in his eyes. 

His mother gave a snort, and flinched with an embarrassed smile "I would've had more movement with a concrete slab" she said "It was his smile that pulled me in. It's the same as yours. When he told me he was going to teach you and Hunter to dance. I almost had a heart attack".

"Did he ever find out that we took secret lessons?" Alex asked. 

She laughed, shaking her head "Anthony's still in the dark. I find it hilarious when he still tells people so" she said.

"Were you..were you in love with him?" 

He regretted asking that the second the words left his mouth. His mother supported a smile but it was painted with sadness "I was" she said, simply. The next part was left unsaid, but he heard it all the same. 

He wasn't .

He tried imagining what it might've been like for her. Being married to a man she loved, but who would never return the sentiment. That was one hell of a life. Growing up his parents shared open affection with each other unlike most couples. 

Alex had always assumed that they were in love with each other, but the truth about his birth had proved otherwise. 

"My love wasn't wasted, Alexander" she whispered, noticing her son's hard expression. 

"We have always cared deeply about each other. And we raised three beautiful children together; I'm so grateful to have had that"

Had. 

She said had .

 Because she believed that her real son, Hunter, was dead. If she ever found out that Alex knew about Hunter she wouldn't ever forgive the two of them no matter how serious there reasons had been. How Hunter was sailing the oceans as a fearless pirate. If he ever came home, and his secret got out, he would be hanged in a fortnight. There family would be ridiculed and they would become outcasts. Alex knew keeping Hunter's secret was the best he could do for all of them.

But he felt incredibly tired. 

Tired of constantly deceiving the people around him. 

Deceiving the people he loved. 

He reflected with grim humor that he was more alike his father than he had thought. 

"How could you not hate him?" he said. Asking the question that had plagued him for years. 

How could you not hate me?

"We had an arranged marriage. My parents wanted me to be a Duchess and Anthony's father wanted my family's money. The nature of our marriage had always been clear. It was a sick twist of fate that I fell for him while...he fell for another" .

Beatrix placed a hand on her Alex's cheek, saying "You and I can't condemn him for having loved Adelen"

He met her eyes with honesty "I'm condemning him for not having loved you enough" he replied, knowing how amazing and strong the woman in front of him was. They shared a smile, he saw his mother discreetly wipe away a tear. 

"He abruptly left for London yesterday evening. Won't you write for him to come back?" his mother questioned. 

 Suddenly a familiar face came in Alex's line of sight. He thought he was mistaken at first, the man was dressed in an elegant, black, evening attire. Dark hair slicked back, but there was no mistaking the cold grey eyes and the ghostly pale face.

"For you I will" Alex said with a distracted smile; He lead his mother back to her friends, keeping a keen eye on his target. 

Grim saw Alex moving towards him, he gave a slight tilt of his head towards the balcony.