Chapter Twelve: The Shadow.

Terms of the Chapter

Cerberus:  In Greek mythology, Cerberus often called the "hound of Hades", is a monstrous multi-headed dog, who guards the gates of the underworld.

ArchonArchon is a Greek word that means "ruler" or "lord". 

........................

"We don't know what happened. We were playing billiards, and the glass shattered. I saw blood..." Alex explained "I tried running after him, but the shooter was long gone" 

Damon was sprawled on the chair next to him playing the part of the helpless victim, a doctor cleaning his wound.

 A whole room full of men burned holes in them with their gazes.

"We checked the scene. There was only one bullet fired from the pistol, and it was fired at Mr Reed. Is there anything you're involved with Mr Reed that might've made you a target?" the local inspector questioned.

Damon bared his teeth in what Alex assumed was a smile at the naive, young, officer. 

"Not that I'm aware of" Damon replied.

 Questions regarding minor technicalities continued for another half hour until Alex's father, Anthony, forced the ambitious officer out the door. The other male guests took more time to scatter. Damon apologized to Layton for having to leave for London. He gave the excuse that he wanted to consult his own physician.

 His father stopped Alex from leaving the study when everyone else filtered out.

 "You're a fool to think that any man in the room believed your story. We've all heard the rumors about Damon and his profession" Anthony said. 

"They can believe whatever they want" Alex said, smoothly. 

Even after all the years of barely any communication his father could see right through Alex. 

 Anthony passed a hand through his hair just has his son did in frustration. "So the rumors are true, aren't they?" Anthony guessed, "You shouldn't have kept this from me". 

Alex gave a bitter laugh at his father's poor choice of words, saying "It's priceless truly how you dictate what I should or should not have kept from you".

 His father flinched as if he'd been slapped; Alex didn't feel any triumph in it. His father looked like hell; his eyes were sunken and glassy. And his wiry frame seemed to curl his shoulders with some unseen burden. 

His father was barely home these past months, and when he did return he always seemed to be under the influence of alcohol or recovering from it. 

He'd lock himself in the library; No one in the household mentioned it, and everyone went about their day as if they didn't witness it. When Alex saw him they managed to treat each other with polite courtesy. And their unspoken arrangement of courtesy meant that it was something that he couldn't bring up. But now Alex could feel the thin glass between them shatter with each sentence. 

"I did what I did to protect you, Alex. I won't apologize for it" Anthony said, his blue eyes held steel. 

"Did it ever occur to you that Hunter disappeared because of you" Alex replied, "Did you think it was a coincidence that he suddenly left that day? Did you honestly think that the Schatten wouldn't ever find out about me? You lied to us for years. The only person you were protecting was yourself." Alex saw his father's face contort in pain, but he continued feeling all the anguish and anger that he held onto the last seven years.