Chapter Nine: People in glass Houses.

Cut direct: The term "cut" or "cut direct" is an English term which means a public snub. That term was used in the Regency era, and it still in use today. A cut direct, however, was a much greater insult, and impossible to explain away. If two people make eye contact, leaving no doubt whether or not they've been seen, and then one turns away without any acknowledgment, he or she has just given the cut direct. If this happens in public, at say, the promenade or a ball, the person being cut is more humiliated because there were more witnesses to the snub.

White's: Founded in 1693, it is the oldest and also widely considered one of the most exclusive gentleman's club in London.

..............

Seven years ago:

Alexander closed one eye, bringing the rifle closer for better aim. The breeze teased the hair at the nape of his neck, it was windy for an August afternoon. The forest was filled with the soft sounds of nature, the stream nearby, the birds in the trees, the rustling of the leaves.

"Take a slow breath" his father, gently, instructed "and relax your shoulders".

The fox nuzzled the ground, about fifty meters ahead, oblivious to them. Its coat was dirty, coated with mud and blood.

"Prepare your body for the recoil after the shot, but don't be afraid of it. It has to be fluid with the movement of your body otherwise it will affect your aim" his father continued.

Alex took another deep breath and pulled the trigger, the fox fell to the ground. Its eyes were open, staring into nothingness in a pool of blood.

"Feathers and blood" his father confirmed, checking the coat of the fox, closely "Let Mr Higgins know that it wasn't his neighbor's cat that was attacking his chickens".

Alex just nodded, not feeling any type of triumph on his kill as he gazed at the lifeless body.

Anthony noticed his son's quiet reflection, he cleared his throat "I met Robert's father at White's last week. He told me what you did for the Earl of Devon's illegitimate son. Damon, was it?"

Alex nodded, shoulders tensing "What did he tell you?" he asked.

"That you gave Charles a black eye and Daniel a broken rib because of him. I thought they were your close friends". There was no judgement in Anthony's voice just a concerned curiosity.

Alex slung his rifle on his shoulder, passing a hand through his hair "Yes I did. I just...I just wish I'd done something earlier" he said.

"It was nothing more than the usual bullying that happened at university. The Boys would call Damon names, and there was the occasional fights. But two months ago I found them behind the riding stables at Cambridge. Charles was holding Damon down while--"

He stopped, remembering the sight of coming upon Damon with his face shoved in the ground. Hearing his screams as Daniel branded him with a red hot branding iron that was used for cattle.

"So you remember the scum you are" Charles had said, laughing.

He also remembered the faces of the other boys that silently watched as an innocent boy got tortured like an animal.He had been among that crowd of watchers too, but that day something in him snapped.

Alex released a breadth, saying "They branded his skin with a branding rod in shape of a B. The B was for Bastard. I realized that I didn't care if he was a bastard, and I didn't care that Charles and Daniel were sons of powerful lords. We've been taught all our lives how to treat certain people like scum. But if we hurt innocent people because of something that wasn't their fault then we're worse than scum".