Chapter 20. I Can Help You.

"Tell me again why we're going school shopping in July?" I sighed as I followed Megan into the mall. She turned around and rolled her eyes at me.

"Because senior year is our last chance to make this town remember us! I don't know about you, but I don't want to be remembered as the blond airhead who cheated on her boyfriend." Megan muttered.

"How are clothes going to help that?" I asked. 

"Clothes help everything," Megan argued.

"They help nothing. Even if I wear new clothes everyone is still going to look at me that same way and think, 'Oh there's that James girl, the one who has a baby,'" I snapped.

"That's not what they'll say." Megan muttered. "They'll say, 'There's that James girl, the one who was in love with that Dawson boy, has a baby, and squashed Ryder McCoy's chance at love."

I stopped mid-stride, my mouth hanging open. Megan rolled her eyes again. "Close your mouth,"

"Is that why you brought me here? To yell at me about Ryder?" I asked.

"No!" Megan shrieked. She looked down at the ground and crossed her arms over her chest. "You haven't talked to us in two weeks Izzy, we miss you."

"Can we just shop please?" I asked, not wanting to talk about the cabin vacation.

"No, we're going to talk about this right now Izzy. I don't want our friendship to be ruined over something dumb like this! Ryder is sorry for snapping at you like that and pressuring you. It's not as much fun hanging out with him without you." Megan whined. I looked around the busy mall at the people who were obviously eavesdropping on our conversation. I grabbed Megan's arm and pulled her into the food court.

"Our friendship isn't ruined Megan, I just need time to think." I told her. I sat down at one of the tables and set my head in my hands. I'd talked to Ben about what happened at the cabin, but he kept telling me to talk to Megan and Ryder about it.

"It sure does seem like it Izzy." Megan muttered. Her eyes started to glaze over with tears. I sighed and leaned back in my chair.

"Don't cry Megan," I begged. Megan shoved the tears away and looked up at me.

"I'm here for you Izzy, no matter what. You understand that right? I don't care what you do. I'm your best friend and I always will be." Megan said. I could tell she about to break down and sob so I rounded the table and wrapped her in a hug. The people in the food court probably thought we were crazy, but I was used to everyone thinking that about me.

"I'm sorry, I'm so sorry. I won't ignore you anymore," I told her. Megan sniffed and looked up at me.

"But you're going to ignore him?" She asked. I ducked my head.

"I just think it'd be easier on both of us if we just didn't try to pretend we were friends anymore." I muttered.

"Pretending? You guys aren't pretending to be friends! Ryder will get over his crush ok, Izzy? You two are still great friends aren't you?" Megan said.

"It's not that we're not great friends Megan, it's that I can't get over Jace and Ryder can't understand that! Ryder is a link to Jace that I don't want to let go of, but I have to. I'm getting over him, Megan. If that means not talking to Ryder than that's what I'm going to do." I said, determined. I'd been thinking about how to deal with my situation and this seemed like the best solution.

"Don't do this Izzy," Megan pleaded.

"I'm sorry Megan," I muttered.

*****