Chapter 9. Dr. James is in the House.

**

Hey guys! I hope you enjoy this chapter!!!!!! Don't forget comments and votes please!!!!! Idk why, but I got like really choked up writing about Jack... Maybe I'm tired... ANYWAY my disclaimer here is that uptil now I didn't research what babies could do at certain stages, but now I am so from here on out it's all fact :)

**

"Oh hey Ryder," I said shocked as I opened the door.

"Hey, I wanted to ask you something." He said. He sounded kind of flustered.

"You came over to my house at ten to tell me something?" I asked.

"Who's there, Iz?" Dad called down the stairs.

"Ryder," I answered. I looked up the stairs and saw Dad leaning over the railing with a curious look on his face. I moved Ryder back onto the porch and closed the door behind me. I shivered in the cold April wind and wrapped my arms across my body. Ryder shoved his hands in his pockets.

"So what did you want to ask me?" I asked.

"I've been thinking and it may seem really soon, but I really like you and I think--"

"Ryder, just spit it out," I laughed.

"Will you go out with me?" He asked, looking down at his feet. When I didn't answer he looked up.

"I know you're not really trusting of guys right now and I totally get that, but give me a chance, please? I promise I won't pressure you into anything or even ask and I just--"

"Ryder, calm down." I smiled.

"Is that a yes or no?" He asked.

I bit my lip. I looked up in those dreamy blue eyes of his. They looked back at be, begging me to say yes. His hair blew in the wind and reflected the moonlight. He licked his lips quickly.

"I can't," I whispered.

Ryder's face fell.

"Not at the moment," I said.

"What do you mean?" Ryder asked, his cocking to the side.

"I'm not ready to date right now. Can I take a rain check?" I asked. Ryder smiled and nodded.

"That's better than the no I thought I was going to get," He laughed. I smiled and tucked my hair behind my ear.

Wow. Did I just tuck my hair behind my ear?

"Now go home, you have school tomorrow," I said, gently pushing him off my porch.

"Izzy," He said, stopping on the stair. He was eye level with me. My heart began to beat faster when I thought what a perfect opportunity to kiss me he had. Instead Ryder reached out and hugged me, holding me to his chest. For a moment I let my arms hang limply at my side as my body shivered and my throat constricted.

"Bye," he whispered, releasing me. He began to walk to his car, his hands shoved in his pockets.

"Ryder," I called. He turned around. "There's this policeman's ball this Friday. If you weren't busy I wondered if you'd like to go as my date. It wouldn't be much fun since I'd have Jack, but I thought maybe you'd--"

"I would love too," Ryder said.

"You have to dress up," I warned.

"Good, I look good in a suit," He teased. I rolled my eyes and watched him back out of the driveway. I smiled and went back in the house.

"Dad!" I screamed, falling back against the door, when I saw him standing on the bottom stair.

"Why do you have to creep around like that?" I snapped.