Chapter Eighteen

Chapter Eighteen

Cain and I pretended that our conversation in the throne room didn't happen the next day.

It was uncomfortable trying to make this relationship work when we kept lashing out at each other about things we both wanted to bury. Of course, there was no way to completely bury them. The problems would come back in one form or another. The worst part was that this relationship was a struggle with me not trusting Cain, and I knew that. I tried to trust him, but whenever he came at my back or tried to sneak a hug, I could feel my muscles pull taunt in preparation for pain.

It was weird just getting hugs and cuddles from him. I accepted them, yes, and I pretended it didn't bother me that Cain did things unexpectedly. Most of the time, the things he did for me were very nice. Well, in the past week or so anyway.

As for Alexion, Hades had full custody of him. We didn't even need to waste our powers on binding him to Inferi, thank goodness. Something in me told me I'd need my powers for something else. However, Alexion no longer had his powers. Judging from the way Hades was in the best mood since Persephone left, I'd say Hades sucked him dry. And the worst part is that curiosity drove me to find out why and how Alexion and Hannibal were connected. He'd refused to tell Hades, who tortured him severely for answers, but Alexion didn't say a word.

So I figured it'd take someone who understood the bastard to get him to talk.

Cain went out on his rounds with Kat, so I took my chance to teleport to the secret entrance into Hades's palace. It was the secret entrance Malachi had showed us, Zelios and I, so we could go in and rescue Noe when Hades had kidnapped him for being an oracle. We had assumed the entrance would be sealed, but seeing as Hades didn't jump on our heads about using it, he apparently still didn't know where it was or how to use it, or maybe Persephone programmed it to hide itself from Hades.

I looked around, frowning as I tapped my foot on each stone to try and find the one that opened the portal. I finally found it and the ground rumbled. The stones twirled and locked together to create a platform. I stepped on it and it instantly began to sink into the ground. I shuddered as the temperature instantly dropped several degrees and I could practically see my breath coming out in clouds over my head. I looked up as the ground closed up above to hide the opening. I cringed, rubbing at my arms, glancing around at the dirt that crumbled off the walls, moss and flowers sprouting out to greet me.

The platform finally stopped and the wall opened up to reveal a long dirt hallway. I took a deep breath and stepped through, hearing the ground close up behind me. I walked down the hallway, following the twists and turns until I felt like I was going to explode.

Where the fuck was the opening to the dungeons?

No sooner had the thought crossed my mind, an opening shot up in front of me to reveal a narrow hall that was lined with cells on the left and a row of dull lanterns on the right. I stepped through, walking down the hallway as the ground closed behind me. Most of the cells were empty, until I reached a middle one where Alexion was curled up into a tight ball.

I actually felt sorry for him.

He was coiled tightly in on himself, wearing only a loose black tunic with torn long sleeves. His dirty blonde hair was sticking to his face with sweat, matted on one side with blood. He was severely bruised everywhere. I grimaced at the sight of his feet that were sliced up pretty badly and wrapped with bloody, dirty stripes of clothe. I hesitated. Maybe this was a bad idea. Why would he talk to me if I was one of the reasons he was in here? Alexion had hoped I would back him up, which would have really just gotten us both into trouble.

"I know you're there." Alexion's hoarse voice muttered. I stiffened and even though a small part of me wanted to get the fuck out, I had no choice, but to stay. I went up to the bars, placing a hand on them, then hissing at the burning cold of it. I tore my hand back. Alexion unfurled himself, looking up at me. I withheld the urge to grimace at what had been done to him. A deep gash went down through his right eye, causing it to be swollen shut. I wasn't even sure if he had an eye there anymore.