Chapter Eleven

Chapter Eleven

The next day, everyone was still trying to take care of me and while at first, it was annoying...

Now it was even more annoying.

I didn't want this attention anymore. It pissed me off. No one was actually letting me rest. Every hour someone came in offering me food and it took me an hour to get them to go away. Right when I wanted to close my eyes to sleep, someone else came in offering more food or medicine or something else.

I was seconds away from spontaneously combusting. I felt like shit still. It was hard to hold down food and I had yet to successfully eat something without vomiting a few hours later. My fever had gone down a bit, but people still insisted on bringing me cold packs to put all over my face. Tayo kept making these horrid concoctions that his ancestors had insisted would cure any ailment and I was in no mood to try any of the twenty-six bowls of unidentifiable goop he brought in.

Jahlia, much to my disappointment, had moved back into town. My assumption was that she had returned to her happy job as a prostitute that carried more wisdom than the gods. It was totally unfair and now my room had gotten quiet and my mood worsened.

"Abel, have you eaten anything today?" Adrian asked, coming into my room for the billionth time. I glared at him, clenching my fists and trying not to scream at him to get out. Instead, I spoke in a cold voice that I hoped got the point across.

"No, and I'm not hungry. I'll just puke it back up anyway. Don't you guys have a primordial god to hunt down?" I seethed. Adrian took my tone in stride, making me want to groan and beat him to death with a pillow.

"Cain still hasn't found anything, and he's acting like Satan on crack because of it."

"Wow," I commented on his tight tone, "You sound pissed."

"Sorry," He apologized quickly, making me roll my eyes, "I'm just getting stressed because Malachi's getting stressed. He's worried sick about you, and nervous that Cain hasn't found anything. There hasn't been any word about anything dangerous happening in Tartarus. According to Zelios, everything's going the way it should be. Totally normal. We're starting to think that Alexion gave up." I frowned instantly at that. If they were thinking that, they'd pull back the forces. I shook my head.

"He won't give up," I insisted firmly, "He tried to kill me, didn't he?"

"Not in person," Adrian reminded, making me twitch, "They're even thinking that maybe the guy who poisoned you just poisoned you on his own. We haven't even found any proof that he was connected to Alexion. And thanks to Cain and his temper, the guy's dead, so we can't question him. He wasn't from here, so his soul was sent to Duat and Seth firmly told us that if we even go near there, he'll attack us for trespassing. Even Ra backed him up. Nobody wants to deal with us." I scowled.

"Why would some guy randomly attacked me?"

"I don't know, Abel. You kinda come on too strong. Maybe you pissed someone off."

"I've never met that man in my life!"

"The underworld is a big place--"

"Oh, you've got to be kidding me," I protested angrily, sitting upright and ignoring the sickening slosh in my stomach, "You can't do this! Alexion's doing it on purpose, I bet you anything. He's pretending to lay low and then when we drop our guard, he'll kill each of us. Are you willing to risk Malachi's life, all of our lives, on your little hunch that this could be wrong?" Adrian hesitated at that, looking down at his feet and chewing his bottom lip indecisively. I sighed, frustrated.

Goddamn, I didn't have time to sit around like this if people were getting confused and indecisive. I had to get out there and find Alexion myself. There had to be something going on, and I was going to find out. Of course, Adrian wasn't gonna let me walk outta here. So I just looked at him, faking a yawn.