Chapter Twenty-One

Chapter Twenty-One

I woke up to the worst headache ever.

It made a hangover feel like paradise. I moaned low in my throat, squeezing my eyes tight against the throbbing that seemed to explode in a symphony of pain. My ears rang for a while before the sound faded. I felt myself leaning against cobblestones, very cold and damp, just like the floor. I tried to move my hands, but found them wrapped tightly around me and I took a wild guess that it was the god restraints that Hannibal had stolen off Alexion.

My eyes flickered open and sure enough, through the haze, I could see the dull glow of the ropes tied tightly around me and my ankles. I lifted my head off the wall, hissing slightly at the pain of moving. I blinked a few times to clear my vision and found myself looking at the wooden door of a closet. I frowned at it in confusion until I heard a low groan from beside me.

I snapped my head to the side, cursing at the pain it caused me to do that, then felt my eyes widened as I found myself looking at Cain. He was tied up tight by the gold restraints, around his hands, around his torso, around his ankles. He was wearing one of those fancy red military style corsets with a small jacket that was torn on one shoulder, the knees of his leather pants split open to reveal his bloody knees that looked like someone had taken a hammer to them.

I frowned, watching Cain shift on the dirty floor of the closet, his head resting against the wall. He slowly lifted it away, blinking at the pain that was probably thundering in his skull too. He squinted in the darkness until he saw me and he blinked a few times, sitting up straight.

"Abel?" He demanded. I didn't know what to say. The last time Cain and I spoke was my freak out session. I just swallowed and looked away. I didn't bother tugging at the ropes. I couldn't break them before, this time would be no different.

"Abel," Cain protested angrily, shifting to try and get closer to me, but I scooted closer to the door, glaring at him, "Abel, I've been trying to contact you all fucking day, but Malachi set up a barrier and wouldn't even let me call you!"

"Yeah, well," I drawled, not looking at him now, staring intensely at the door, "Good for you, but I had better things to do."

"Like avoid me?! Abel, what the hell is going on? One minute I'm falling asleep and the next I wake up with you standing over me with my dagger! Do you have any idea how stupid that is--"

"Ohhh my god," I snapped angrily, turning to glare at him, watching his eyes glint dangerously, "We can discuss my stupidity and your insanity later. Right now, we have bigger problems. Hannibal's kidnapped us both and tossed us into some kind of closet, it's cold as fuck, I have to piss, there's no light, except from these damned ropes, and oh yeah, Hannibal's probably going to capture the rest of our brothers." Cain scowled at that, tugging uselessly at his ropes.

"Why the fuck would he kidnap the others? He doesn't give a shit about them. He only kidnapped us for some sick twin fantasy." He said angrily. I glared at him.

"He won't kill them if it means killing me, you dope. That defeats the purpose of the twin fantasy theory. He's probably going to get everyone together and get them out of the way so he can get into Tartarus and open the gates. We need to warn the others and we're not doing anything helpful from in here. So let's do the world a favor and concentrate on trying to get our asses out of this situation." I explained menacingly. Cain glared at me, but said nothing more as he started to tug and squirm against the ropes. I rolled my eyes, looking away as I scanned the door for any signs of a weakness. Even with my legs tied, I could kick the door out. What happened from there? Who the fuck knows? I was better at improvising.