Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine

It was cold in Inferi.

Thankfully, the leather suits that Malachi required his staff to wear was actually quite warm during this time of year. It kept the heat of our bodies contained. And yet, even so, something about the air still felt cold to me. I couldn't pinpoint it.

Either way, the weather wasn't my problem.

I was currently still hiding Jahlia in my room, but according to Malachi, she had to be out of here in three days. If she wasn't, he was gonna throw her out and if he did that, there was bound to be a fuss about it and it would reach Cain and Cain would come to kill her. She didn't seem too concerned, though, which also pissed me off. If anything, she was demanding to go back to work.

"I hate sitting around and watching movies all day," Jahlia insisted impatiently, following me around the room, even though I was trying to get away from her, "I'm not a pet, Abel, you have to let me out. At least let me see one client and get some coffee." I groaned, trying to cover my ears to block out her voice, but it was no use, especially when she was cornering me now.

"It's too cold," I groaned, "Why can't you be happy with toys, movies, and Cheetos?"

"Uhm, maybe because I'm a grown woman, and not a labrador retriever? Come on, Abel, you can even come with me! We don't even have to see a client if that makes you feel better. We can just go out to eat and come right back. Besides, I need to fulfill my duty of getting you a man." She added with an eyebrow wiggle. I grimaced, pressing my back against the wall and eyeing her warily.

"I really, really don't need to get involved with anyone right now. Cain will--"

"Enough," Jahlia ordered, putting her finger on my lips, making me frown, "Cain this, Cain that. You are obsessed with him. Even if you say you hate him, he's still all you think about. If you don't want to get back together with Cain, then find someone else. Find someone better. And to do that, you're gonna need my help." I scowled, pushing her hand away and rubbing my mouth, giving her a dry stare.

"Are you saying I can't pick up a guy on my own?" I muttered. Jahlia raised an eyebrow, challenging me to an argument, but I surrendered before she went into Mama Jahlia mode. That thing she does where she lectures me and whines and nags. Remember what I said about always wanting a sister? I changed my mind.

I reluctantly agreed to Jahlia's nagging, though, because I honestly did feel guilty about locking her up in my room for the past few days. She needed to be out. She was a free spirit. A really obnoxious free spirit that enjoyed her booze. Most of the shops were probably closed because of the rain, but there were still back alley shops that stayed open because it was usually the decent citizens that went into hiding during the rainy days. It was the fun fellas that came out during the showers.

"Okay," Jahlia said, flipping through a Demonic Fashion magazine, "We need to find you something nice to wear. Something that says I'm a sassy son of a bitch, but I purr like a kitten in bed." I covered my face at that, hoping she wouldn't pay attention to the fact that she actually succeeded in embarrassing me. Purr like a kitten in bed? God. Now that I thought about it, I did make weird noises during sex. No wonder Cain was sick of me.

Aaaand now I'm depressed.

Good job, Abel.

Solid work.

"Why can't we stay home," I grumbled, folding one leg over the other and leaning back on my hands on the bed, "I promised a friend I'd play video games with him anyway. I just need to figure out where to put a television in here." Jahlia scoffed, waving me off.