Chapter Fifteen

Chapter Fifteen

I spent the next day in bed.

I still felt like crap. Not as bad as before, but pretty bad. Malachi assumed it was some of the poison that had remained in my system, but I felt like it was something else. Part of me felt like it was connected with Cain, but the way he had reacted, it was like he had no idea what happened.

So now I was completely clueless, and I hated it.

The worst part is that I missed most of Dorean's party. According to Malachi, though, Dorean had a wonderful time and enjoyed all his presents, including the one I had gotten him. For some reason, that pleased me. I was damn good with gift giving. Maybe because I rarely did it. I shrugged it off and just laid back against my pillows, sighing heavily.

I didn't want to lay here to be honest. I had to find out why this happened. What had triggered that moment of illness, and that weird flashback that I couldn't remember. All I remembered was how I felt, or maybe it wasn't even me... Maybe I was someone else. I wasn't sure.

But Cain was the only other person there, so I had to ask him.

And make him tell me.

I was tired of being the ignorant one. I had to know why Cain did what he did, and if he had anything to do with what happened yesterday.

With that in mind, I forced myself out of bed and got to my feet, wobbling for a moment, then caught my balance. I took a deep breath, then teleported out of the room. I left a note behind for Malachi, instructing him that I had gone out. If I told him I'd gone to Cain's, he'd run after me and drag me back. His concern was actually kind of nice, but I didn't have time for it right now.

I appeared in Cain's throne room, pausing as I listened to the silent darkness. The gigantic chandelier that hung in the center of the room was dimmed, so it was eerie in the room, shadows cast across the black and blue drapes along the walls. I frowned, scanning it before I heard someone come through one of the doors. I turned around, expecting Cain, only to find Hannibal standing there.

Oh, great.

"Where's Cain?" I demanded. Hannibal gave me a quick once over that made me curl my lip at him, my hands on my hips. Hannibal met my eyes again with that eerie stare of his. I could just barely see the scars on the left side of his face through his hair, the scars that apparently his adoptive Titan family had given him.

"He's making rounds." Hannibal answered briefly. I cursed under my breath, looking away. If he was making rounds, he'd take all day. He had both the Fields of Asphodel and Elysium to look over, so it could even be a full day before he returned. Part of me wanted to stay and wait for him, but when I took another look at Hannibal, that idea suddenly seemed dangerous.

Hannibal wasn't exactly a threat. Granted, he probably had more power than me currently and I'd never actually seen him fight, so he could happily surprise me in a fight. But I had to put up with Cain for several centuries, so I gave myself some credit. At the same time, there was something really off about Hannibal.

"I'm just gonna help myself to the kitchen then." I said at last. Hannibal's eyes followed me as I made my way out of the throne room and toward the kitchen. As soon as I was out of sight of Hannibal, I breathed a sigh of relief and shook my head. I really wished Cain would fire him and just hire someone else. Someone who was less creepy.

I went to the kitchen and grabbed some nectar, taking deep gulps of it before I very slowly made my way back to the throne room, hoping that Hannibal had gone off to torture infants or something, whatever the weirdo did in his free time.