Chapter 10: Explanation time

As my new obtained day off was drawing to an end, I had decided to somewhat clean out my apartment. Mainly getting rid of the used medical remains. Which was easier said than done.
My healthy arm lifted the thick, heavy black bin bag. The rubbish clanked and rattled against each other within the bag. I groaned to myself as my single arm lifted the heavy weight. I clumsily pulled my apartment door open, my feet shuffled through the cheap dirty halls of the apartment complex. Everything was almost completly silent as I stumbled through each floor. It wasn't until I forcefully leaned my weight against the ground floor fire exit door did the natural hum of the city reach my ears. The small alley filled with the darkness of the night. The neon lights fearfully dogged the ally way, the only light source I had was the pale green glow of the exit sign.  Before I could even approach the dumpster, a familiar voice reached my ears.
"Katherine?"
I turned. Cameron stood at the edge of the alley way. His normal clothing fitting him perfectly. I gave a pity full smile.
"Hey." I said quietly, my voice trying not to show my awkwardness. He approached, his eyes glancing down at the ground. His bare hand stuffed into the front pockets of his jeans.
"Kylie said you wanted to talk to me" he said. His broad shoulders slumped slightly. I nodded as I set the bag down by the edge of my feet.
"Yeah....It's about my 'rain check'." I said. My short nails scratching the back of my pale neck. He sighed, his icy eyes rolling up to the heavens. Frustration written across his face.
"I didn't come here for excuses Katherine-"
I cut him off. My voice coated in a short shot of anxiety.
"It's not an excuse! I just want to explain!"

His face relaxed slightly but a stern look lingered across his eyes. He nodded not saying a word. My hazel eyes quickly glanced around, making sure no ears could listen in. Silence filled the conversation as I chose my words carefully. 
"You know that little vigilante that kinda got into my apartment, well...I've been helping him for the past while and..."
Cameron's eyes flicked up, anger and concern written across his face. I continued my explanation before he could speak.
"I didn't want to tell you because I thought I would be putting you in danger." I said quietly. Cameron rubbed his lips with his strong hand, his brain trying to process the information I had given him. He nodded to himself slowly.
"Okay....okay" he mumbled to himself. He took a deep breath in as he removed his hand. "You know this is crazy right?" He said. 

I nodded. "Are you in any danger?" He asked. I blinked stunned by his question, I sharply shook my head.

He glanced down at my twisted wrist. His index finger pointed down at it,
"Did he do THAT?" He snarled.  Anger already rising in his throat.
I quickly shook my head, did he think Red Hood did this to me?
"No, no. He saved me."

Cameron's face loosened, silence filled the alley way once again. Both of us unsure on what to say, I hesitantly broke the silence.
"I'm fine Cameron...I trust him. He's said that he would protect me and he's already proven that he will keep up to his word."
Cameron sighed before finally nodding.
"You can't tell anyone"
He paused. "Fine" he spat, his word barely able to escape his teeth. Before I could say anything else he cut me off. 
"But let's make one thing clear." He began.
I nodded. My lips firmly together, allowing him to speak in the silence.
"I don't trust him Katherine...but I do trust you. If you keep helping him, I won't say anything."

I smiled at him, relief washing over me. I tightly wrapped my arms around Cameron's neck. My whole body taking him into an embrace.
"Thank you!" I said happily. The tips of my feet giving me support on his tall structure. He hesitantly hugged me back, his hands gently pressed against my spine.
"If you need anything.  Just call me, promise?" He said quietly. I nodded.
"Promise."

After another minuet or two, Cameron finally left me with my thoughts. I smiled as he walked away, not looking back.
I sighed. Turning back to my plastic bin bag of rubbish, my healthy arm groaned as I lifted the heavy weight over the towering dumpster. Suddenly a weak groan came out as the plastic bag came into contact with the metal flooring of the dumpster. Frowning, I peeked inside.
"Red?!"