Michael (II)

June 7th

11:00am

The air carried the faint smell of barbeque as me and my best friend Nelson made our way through our hood. It was summertime of course, so every hoodrat and they momma was out. Kids playing with fire hydrants, block parties, girls damn near naked: all that shit was going on. We'd usually be in the middle of all the madness, but we got work to do.

          I nudged Nelson, making him turn away from checking out some girl that walked by. "Ay you know what type of jobs we do right? No fuck ups this time, man."

          He laughed to himself. "I got it, man. You just be sure you don't get caught up with them side chicks no more. You know what happened last time you couldn't wait."

          We both laughed, remembering how I met my first side chick on the job, Amiyah. Don't get me wrong, Amiyah's fine as hell, and I could definitely see her being the main chick, but she's too damn crazy. I fucked her once on the job, and she won't leave me alone. Amiyah seems to think we dating or some shit. Heh, I ain't ever falling in love with anyone. It's too much drama.

          We keep walking down the block, coming to a dip in the sidewalk which led to a door underground. This only lead to one place, and one place only.

Time to get paid.

I looked over at Nelson, and he returned the look. Something about this time had me feeling like something big would happen, like our lives were about to change. Was it for the better? I don't know. Nelson and I had been through so much hell - and even caused some - I don't see how anything would get better. I guess we'll see.

          Nelson knocks on the door three times. The slit at the top opens immediately, startling us both.

          "What you want?" a deep, male voice booms. Only his eyes become visible through the slit in the door.

          I chose that moment to speak. "We're here for The Boss, man. He says he got a job for us."

          The eyes crinkle at the corners, showing that he's smiling. "Ay I'd know that high ass voice anywhere! Maverick! I bet you got Prince with you, too. Get yo' bright light asses in here!"

          The guy buzzes us in and Nelson and I slowly walk in, checking behind us for anyone that might've seen us. I turn around and see that the guy is my old partner, King. He's a pretty stocky black guy, but tall with a country ass accent only he can pull off. King's also bald with a jet black beard and his signature sunglasses on his forehead. Kind of like Rick Ross without the fat. He immediately put me at ease, and I smiled and did our handshake. Man, I ain't seen this nigga in a long ass time...

          "Man, I ain't seen y'all in a minute! What's good?" he says as he leads us deeper into the den.

          "Not much, man." Nelson says, then falls silent. He's kind of like me in a way, both of us being the strong yet shy, quiet type. I guess that's why he been my boy for so long. We just kind of clicked.

          I follow behind King and Nelson. "Yeah man, we got to get this bread. You know how we do."

          King chuckles and scratches his beard. "Yeah, I know what you mean." We then come to a solid cherry wood door where The Boss does his business deals. All three of us step inside and stand to wait for him to come in.

          "Ay man, how's the rest of the crew doing?"

          King and Nelson brighten up slightly when I mention our dysfunctional crew. "They doing alright so far, still crazy as hell." King laughs. "Q and Bishop been getting' they hustle on, and Mac been doing better with the ladies if you catch my drift..." He gives us a wink.