Falling In Love With My Enemy's Brother (Chapter Fifteen)

Falling In Love With My Enemy's Brother by: Faerie_Writer

CHAPTER 15

I followed Matt's family into the living room, another light and airy room.

Matt's dad quickly went into a door opposite of the one we had entered through into what I assumed was the kitchen, since when he came back he brought chips and soda.

It was so funny for me because my father would never care about anyone else, and since he hated chips he never bought them, and we weren't aloud to have them.

Matt's mom left the living room as well before coming back with the tea tray from her study and plopping it on the coffee table in a way which would make my mother cringe at the way she was treating the fragile china cups.

There were no rules here, this much I could tell.

Well... there WERE rules, but not the crazy strict ones my family had. This was a pretty laid back group of people, and I felt more at home here than I had anywhere for the past four years.

Their mom took a seat on the couch, which I took as a signal to sit down in a fluffy armchair that was right behind me.

I adjusted myself slightly in my seat, before looking towards Matt's parents who were getting themselves some drinks.

Matt's mom took a sip of her tea, before looking at me. "Well truly there isn't much to tell about the whole incident, which is why I think it's quite absurd but it started out like this..."

She took a deep breath, "A long, long, LONG time ago, your and Matt's great, great, grandmas were the best of friends. They shared very similar tastes, which was good when it came to things like books and schoolwork but bad when it came to fashion and boys."

"Now this all started when they were in their last year of High School. That's when they met Michael, Matt's great, great, grandfather. Both girls were madly in love with him, but he liked your great, great, grandmother better." She said looking at me.

"So how'd he become our grandpa if he liked Sam's grandma better?" Serafina asked, and her mother hushed her with a slight chuckle.

"Hold on," she teased, "I'm getting there!" And I watched as a smile played on Serafina's lips while I felt a small pang of jealousy.

I wish that were my mom and I. But whishes don't always come true I guess.

"Now where was I?" Matt's mom asked.

"How great, great, great, grea-" Matt began, but gave up when he wasn't able to recall how many greats it was and just said, "how Michael loved Sam's old grandma."

"Sam's great, great, grandma." his mom corrected lightly before saying, "So, the last year of High School and there was a Sadie Hawkins dance. Sam's great, great, grandmother, Carrie, was already going with Michael as they were becoming QUITE the high school couple, and Matt's great, great grandmother, Sally, was going with no one."

"Sally got quite mad at Carrie, because Carrie promised a while ago that she wouldn't make a move on Michael and Sally had promised she wouldn't either to respect that difference. So because Sally was so mad at Carrie she did the worst thing she could think of... she stole Carrie's lucky scarf."

"Lucky scarf?" Serafina asked with a snort, and I couldn't help but feel the same way.

"Yes, Carrie's LUCKY scarf. You see, this was the scarf that Carrie had worn when she had told Michael she had liked him, and he liked he back. This was the scarf they had worn on the date where he kissed her... it seemed that when Carrie wore that scarf everything became perfect in her love life.