XVI. Sugar Cookie

Tessa Kade

Chapter 16: Sugar Cookie

If it was possible to scale my level of anger at the moment then it surely would have broken the bar and seethed over top. The brown eyes looking at me with a stark amusement were only making my fists tighten. His slightly curled hair was styled in such a way one would think it was frozen like that, just like a doll. But the worst of it all was the fact he was on my door step as my guest while I was on my vacation.

He shot me a cocky grin as he shoveled in past me, patting my shoulder and leaving my line of vision which was still focused outside. There was a slight chill but it barely hit me, my own heated stance providing a shield from the cold air. I don't know why or how my mom got Jase to come over here especially since just a few weeks ago he was in the UK. She must be some sort of undercover magician to pull this kind of shit off.

"Tessa, close the door! There's a draft and my feet a freezing," My mom scolded me from down the hall. In one angry swing I shoved the door shut, the metal causing the house to shake from it's forceful close.

With that I turned on my heel and stalked back into the kitchen, finding Jase hovering in the doorway to the living room. Ethan was completely engulfed in his game but Cody was hunched over the edge of the couch, babbling away about all the new things he got. I rolled my eyes since neither of the boys told me shit about what had happened since I was gone.

Isabella was still in the kitchen with my phone pressed to her ear as she smiled widely and nodded before piping out a yes. It seemed that everyone but me could make my own family happy, even my own mother who was making loving eyes at Jase. Not in the creepy kind of cougar way but in a way that made it seem like she wanted him as her child over me.

"Mom?" I barked, trying to control the anger in my voice. Her head snapped my way and a brow raised on her forehead, "Can I have a word with you in the back room?"

She nodded but the confusion never left her face as she turned down notches so nothing would burn. By the looks of it we'd be eating soon, which hopefully means Jase will be leaving earlier AKA right after he eats.

My hand pushed the back room door open, heels digging into the ground as I stomped inside with my mom behind me. In a quiet manor she shut the door behind her then turned to me with her arms crossed and brow still raised. I stood in silence for a bit, trying to figure out what kind of thing to say that wouldn't come across badly but it was no use.

"Why did you invite him, of all people, to come over?" I started. I'd tried desperately to hold back the anger in my voice but it sounded strained as I spoke.

"I thought you two were friends," She blinked mindlessly. 

I laughed in a humorless way, eyes dropping to the floor where baskets of laundry were, "Do you even read the articles about me?"

"Considering all they do is tell me lies about my own daughter, I try to stay away from them," She retorted back. My eyes dragged back up to her and I was slightly disturbed to find her jaw locked in place and brows slanted downwards, "but I'm still not seeing the big deal here."

"The "big deal", mom, is that he relentlessly lied to me, called me out and virtually thinks I'm a piece of shit that he's better than. He's a fucking asshole who doesn't know how to keep his mouth shut and you-"

"Enough!" She yelled above my raising voice, "I didn't know but it's not as if I can kick him out now. You will go out there and endure whatever comes your way and so help me God, if I hear another cuss out of your mouth I will have you doing every single chore in this house. Do you understand me?"