Chapter 21

I ran to Sean's class right as the bell rang, trying to explain and work out something with him. I was dying to go to California but I wanted to stay with Sean. He had stayed with me throughout all the bumps in the road, and I wasn't going to leave him if he didn't want me to. If I had to choose between my career and Sean...I'd choose Sean.

I waited for his class to come out and then I saw a flash of his unmistakable brown hair. "Sean!" I called. His head turned and his eyes looked dazed. He smiled at me but it didn't quite reach his eyes.

"Sean..I-"

"Go to California, Alana. Please." he looked at me, his eyes solid and unreadable.

I opened my mouth to speak. "But I-"

"Please go. I'll wait for you. Don't worry, my heart is only yours." he said, smiling.

"I won't go if you don't want me to, Sean." I said, seeing through his facade.

He sighed. "I...honestly don't want you to go, Alana. We've barely been together and barely done any couple stuff but this is what's best for you."

I looked at him, tears forming in the corner of my eyes. "But Sean, I..."

"Please go, Alana. I..."

Before he could finish his sentence, Sean grew pale and dropped down to the ground.

"Sean? Sean! What's wrong?" I started panicking and called 000/911.

The door opened and a doctor came out, looking sombre.

Sean's dad rushed to the doctor looking more worried than ever. "How is my son? Is he alright? Is he alive?"

The doctor looked taken aback and his eyes widened in surprise. "Yes, your son is fine. He just had a extremely high fever."

"Is it life-threatening?" I asked.

"No, no. Of course not. He should be fine after a few days of rest."

I nodded and then asked, "Can we go in?"

The doctor smiled. "He asked for you to come in alone."

I bit my lip and opened the door, swinging it open. I saw Sean's face as pale as ever. "How are you?" I said, trying me best to smile.

He grinned at me and tapped at a chair next to him. "Sit, Alana."

I sat down and then looked at him, wondering what to do. I opened my mouth to speak but wasn't sure if Sean would get mad. I finally plucked up the courage and said, "Sean, I want to-" the same time as he said, "Alana..I...want you -".

"Sean, you go first." I said smiling.

"Alana..I want you to go to California. Don't worry about me. It's only a fever."

"No, Sean. I'll go to California after your fever is over. I don't want to leave you here alone."

He sighed, turned away and then looked at me with glossed-over eyes that were void of emotion. "Alana, the truth is, I want to break up with you. Our relationship isn't going well and I think California will give us the break we need."

I looked up at him, surprised. "But...Sean...I.."

"Please, Alana. Go. I won't get any better if you're around." Sean said, his voice angry and strong.

I nodded reluctantly and let a tear escape once I was outside. He really wanted me to pursue my dreams. Even if it meant letting me go.

"Thank you, Sean." I whispered.

I walked to my gate without looking back. There were no goodbyes simply because I had no friends. A high school life spent seeking revenge instead of making friends and having fun. The only friend who I had was Sean.

And I was sure he wouldn't come. If he came, he might've changed his mind about making me go. But even though I was sure, I turned around, hoping that I might just get to see a glimpse of his handsome face.

He wasn't there.

Gritting my teeth and clutching my ticket, I walked forward and into the plane. He wasn't going to come but that was okay because I had myself. I had to be strong. Because he was being strong for me.

I got onto the plane and searched for my seat. I sat down at J-18 and tapped my fingers against my thigh. I missed him already. I sighed and dropped my handbag onto the floor. I bumped my shoulder against something hard. I was about to look up but then I heard a voice.

"Excuse me, miss. Is someone sitting here?"

There was something familiar about that voice. I looked up and saw..

No. It can't be.

But those unmistakable brown eyes and that luscious brown hair.

No...

"Sean?"

Epilogue next and I'm done done done! <3