Chapter 16

(i’ve still been getting lots of messages about making the chapters longer and i’m really sorry about that. with that said i’m going to do my best to make the chapters at least 3-4 pages from now on, but it might take me a bit longer to update depending on how busy i am. it’s at over 3k reads and that’s really amazing so thank you all so much! vote/comment if you like!)

I find myself getting closer to Zayn as I listen to him speak about his passion for drawing. Not only am I drawn to his passion, but not once has he judged me or made me feel less of myself. He reminds me of...me. If anyone would have told me a week ago that I’d have a male friend I probably would have laughed and thought even worse of myself at that moment. I have to admit our first encounter together was a bit unsettling to say the least, but for him to have stuck around means more to me that he will ever know. 

“How comfortable do you feel talking about Harry?” 

I huff and lean against the concrete wall behind me. Maybe talking about him would ease the angered and confusing feelings I have. 

“Why do you ask?”

“He’s a bit uptight don’t you think?”

“I’m not even sure really. I am sorry about before. I don’t know what came over him. He’s usually not like that. At least I don’t think he is.” I don’t know why I’m defending him. 

“I’m only trying to look out for you, Em.”

“Why do you feel the need to protect me? Why do you care so much?”

I’m not being rude in the least bit. I’m more curious than anything. 

“You may not think people can notice, but it’s obvious that you’re hurting. I don’t know as much about you as I’d like to, but I want you to know that you can trust me.”

“I find it hard to trust people. Especially after...”

“After what?”

“Nothing.”

He frowns and I could feel my anxiety rising at the remembrance. I flinch as he wraps am arm around me but don’t pull away like I thought I would. A hug from Anna this morning and now this? I’m used to people staring, laughing or yelling at me. Not showing me some sort of affection. As nice as it is I don’t feel like I deserve it. 

“I’m not going to pressure you to talk or anything but you do feel comfortable around me right?”

I nod and smile. I really do. I can hardly believe I’m talking about this with a guy who actually seems to be listening to me. 

“Of course. I’m just afraid of opening up to people.”

“Having someone to talk to might help a lot.” 

I never really did have anyone to talk to besides my guidance counselor in high school who happened to be my only friend at the time. Her name was Laura and she was the sweetest person I ever met. I would go down to see her almost every day after school and used my free periods in senior year to make the most out of the time I had left. Things have got significantly worse since then and it makes me wonder the position I’d be in if it weren’t for her. I still try to keep in contact with her but she never responds to any of my emails. I miss her a lot. 

“I know. It’s just that trust thing I mentioned. I’d like to open up to you because oddly enough I feel comfortable around you...but I just don’t know. Not yet.”

“Don’t get stressed over it. You don’t have to tell me anything at all, but I think I’d have a better understanding of you if I knew what was up you know?”