Chapter 14

(thanks again for all the reads! i've got my aunt's wedding friday so i'm not sure when i'll be able to write/update with everything going on here, but i'll do my best! vote/comment if you like please! xx)

I find it hard to control the blood flow to my cheeks and catch Anna smirk at me in the corner of my eye. While Professor Bacher goes on with the lesson and talks about our paper I can’t help but focus on Harry. I begin the notice the little things about him, like how his back muscles flex when he stretches or the way his fingers tap rhythmically against the desk. 

As class ends I take my time getting my things together and watch as he stands and stretches, the front of his shirt lifting and revealing a bit of his stomach. I could have swore I saw a small tattoo but that only indicates that I was staring for too long. 

“You look good in a beanie, Styles.” Anna says.

He really does. He gives her a friendly smile as I admire his blue beanie. The color looks good on him, making his eyes a gorgeous deep shade of jade. 

“Thank you very much.”

His thick accent is highly appealing and I find myself being more drawn to him with each passing minute. Don’t get too attached. I don’t know what’s wrong with me today. I stand and meet his gaze before placing my bag over my shoulder. 

“Okaaaay well I need to get to my next class. See ya later, Em!”

She smiles and winks at me before smirking at Harry. What is with her today? Harry returns the expression and bites his lip as she leaves the room. I feel like I’m missing something.

“Well I did plan on sitting next to you today...”

The sight of him biting his lip sends an unknown sensation through me. I know I’ve currently been prone to foreign feelings but this was a bit much. I dismiss it immediately and look down at my shoes. I don’t really know what to say. Do I ever?

“Emma....” I freeze when he places his hand on my shoulder and remember the last time he did so. I glance up at him and could see the intensity in his eyes. Green burning into blue. “Are you sure you’re okay?”

This seems to be his new line with me. 

I roll my eyes and give him a reassuring smile causing him to do the same in return. Not much is said between us as we head out of the classroom. There’s so much I’d like to know about Harry but I know it’s none of my business. All I know is that he moved here from England. I don’t even know what his major is. It dawns on me that I really don’t know him at all, but why does it seem like I’ve known him all along?

I build up enough courage and wince at the sudden knot in my stomach. “Do you want to have lunch with me?” 

I must be as red as my flannel and who knows if he even heard me. I peer up at him from my shoes and bite my lip hard at the smile on his face. God his dimples are cute. 

“I would be honored.”

I catch his eyes on me more than a few times as we make our way to the dining hall. I definitely feel more comfortable compared to the last time I came in here, but I’m instantly reminded of Zayn and part of me hopes I don’t spot him. I’d love to see him but I think it would be a bit awkward with Harry here. 

My constant anxiety is more prominent than ever as I watch everyone look at Harry and then look at me. I sigh and try to dig my money out of my purse.

“Hey don’t worry about it, I got it.”

“Harry no it’s okay.” I kick myself for not having my money out before and curse under my breath as I try to sort through crumbled dollar bills.

“Em go sit down. I’ll surprise you with something, okay? Please, I insist.”

I would have fought back harder if he wasn’t so damn charming. I huff and spot a few girls rise from a table before going to grab it. I’m going to feel bad about this for a while. He had no reason to pay for my lunch. I sit and tidy up my purse and neatly set an amount to pay him back when he arrives. 

I spot him carrying a tray piled with food in one hand and a large brown bag in the other. It all looks so heavy but he seems to be at ease. 

He gives me a smile and places them on the table. “I hope you’re hungry.”

“Harry! How much did you get??”

It makes me feel uncomfortable knowing how much he probably spent on all this. 

“It all looked so good so I grabbed a bit of everything.” He shrugs like it’s nothing. 

It all does look pretty good. He grabs two iced teas from the brown bag and hands one to me. Arizona Peach. My favorite. 

I slide the money towards him and he shakes his head while taking a long sip.

“Noooo, don’t even think about it.”

“But-”

“No buts.” He smirks. “It was no trouble at all, love. I should buy you lunch more often.” He winks and pops a french fry into his mouth. 

I flush and grab a double chocolate chip muffin from the tray. As nice as that would be I know better than to get my hopes up. Harry’s a really nice guy that I obviously happen to be attracted to, but I find myself thinking too far ahead and there’s no way I’m letting myself get hurt like last time.

I quietly pick at the abundance of food and could feel Harry’s eyes on me again. I would have thought he was going to play 20 questions with me but I’m enjoying the silence between us. For once it doesn’t feel awkward. 

I glance at him browsing through his phone when I spot Zayn walking towards the table. I knew he would be bound to be here despite my hope of his absence. He doesn’t look nearly as happy as the last time I saw him. Harry knows nothing at all about Zayn. So much for the lack of awkward. 

“Hey Em. Mind if I sit?” 

I give him a smile and nod, but I don’t like the look Harry’s giving him.

“Uh Harry...this is my friend Zayn.”

“Nice to meet ya, mate.” 

Harry’s sudden politeness only makes his previous sour expression more confusing. 

“You too, man.”

Zayn turns to me with a look insinuating if Harry was the same one we talked about over the phone. I simply nod and watch him do the same. I feel the desperate need to start a conversation which is one of things we all know I can’t do.

“Uh there’s something I wanted to talk to you about...but it can wait. I’ll call you later okay?” He glances at Harry nervously and rises from his seat.

“Zayn wait-”

“Whatever you need to say you can say in front of me. No need to go running off.”

Harry gives him the fakest smile I’ve ever seen and eyes him like a piece of meat. It makes my stomach churn and I don’t like it one bit. Thankfully Zayn doesn’t seem too affected by it.

“I appreciate that but I need to get going anyway. I just wanted to stop by and say hello.” 

He turns and gives me a weak smile before walking off into the distance.

What the hell was that about.