Chapter 7

Who are you kidding? Just get away while you can. I can’t fathom the reasoning behind his action. Tears begin to well in my eyes again as I look at this beautiful boy in front of me. I clench my eyes shut tightly as a piercing pain begins to soar through my head once again. Prude. Prude. Little fucking prude.

“I’m okay...” I choke, obviously lying. He must think I’m an idiot.

I could see a sense of sadness in his eyes for the brief moment I look back up at him. He sighs and runs his hand through his hair. “Um, well what is your next class?”

This couldn’t possibly get more awkward. “Photography.” My tone lacks in any interest whatsoever. 

A small smile purses on his lips but fades quickly as he tries to hide it. “That wouldn’t be the 215 course would it? Martin’s class?”

“Um yeah, actually.” Wow. I could feel the blood flowing to my cheeks despite my highly emotional state. 

His blue flannel deepens the color of his eyes and I watch them twinkle as he meets my gaze. “Look’s like we’ve got two classes together then.” I catch him smirk at me quickly before glancing down and picking at his fingers. “We can walk together if you’d like...”

This could either turn out okay or very, very bad. There’s no doubt that Harry is or seems to be a nice boy but I can’t seem to find his reason for sticking up for me before. I’m not sure what to think or how to respond.  

“O-Okay.” My voice is smaller than usual and yet again I feel like everyone’s eyes are on me as I follow Harry through the halls. I should have never left the bathroom. 

Once we reach the photo lab I notice the door is closed and go to read the paper taped on it. 

PHO 215: Intermediate Photography. Class has been cancelled and will be until next week. There has been a death in my family and I apologize for the short notice. Please email me your shots from last week’s assignment and don’t forget to study for the quiz on exposure and color theory on the 19th. - Professor M

Great.

“Looks like that’s not happening.” Harry chuckles and leans his arm against the wall next to me. 

I gulp nervously and take a step back. What does he want with me? Why hasn’t he gone off with some pretty girl like Beth? I find myself wondering why people haven’t approached him in the halls when I remember he’s a foreign exchange student. He seems like a person who would have a lot of friends. Me out of all people aren’t worth his time. I sigh and feel my eyes go glassy as I peer up at him for what is hopefully the last time. 

“I guess I better go...” I turn and walk rather slowly down the hall while looking for my phone and MTA card deep inside my bag. Home is the last place I want to go, but I just want to sleep. Today was a day much unlike the others and my mind is exhausted from the process of it all. 

“Emma, wait!” Harry’s voice nearly echoes through the hall as he comes rushing to me. Now what. Don’t pay attention to him. Keep on walking. I ignore my rude subconscious and nearly drop my phone in the process. 

“Yeah?” 

“Uh...firstly I wanted to apologize about before. The whole thing with Beth...”

I cringe at the sound of her name and the vision of her all over him. “It’s fine. It doesn’t matter.” What I really feel like doing is telling him about her and Zayn.

“Well of course it matters. You were obviously hurt by it.” 

Yet again Harry, it doesn’t matter. I don’t matter. “It’s okay, really.” I insist. “You do know Beth is with someone right?” I had to get it out. I figure me exposing him to the kind of person she really is would ease the pain a bit. 

His face falls. “Wait you mean she’s actually going out with someone?”

I nod. “I met her boyfriend Zayn earlier today and she was with him.”

His expression turns from sad to angered as he shakes his head. “Look I didn’t mean to kiss her. She’s the one that kissed me. She just came onto me and...god I’m such an idiot.”

I feel bad that he feels the need to explain himself. “It’s not your fault, Harry. You didn’t know.”

“Yeah I guess so...”

Awkward silence. My favorite. 

He reaches to scratch behind his neck and stretches his arms out. “So where are you headed now?” 

I sag in place and groan inwardly. “Home I guess.”

My heart starts to beat faster as a dimple grin pops on his face. 

(please don't forget to vote/comment if you like!)