Chapter 2

“Well hello Harry Styles, I’m Anna Hanson.” They smile at each other and shake hands, but as he looks at me I find myself flushing and walking to the opposite end of the room. Sighing heavily, I take out my notebook and pen before taking a long sip of my coffee. Harry’s thick, British accent is highly appealing and I try to distract myself when I realize I’ve innocently began to eavesdrop on their conversation. 

Class ends earlier than expected, leaving me only more stressed with the reminder of the eight page paper that is due next week. As usual I’m one of the last to leave and wish the Professor a good day before stepping out. Seeing Anna and Harry waiting for me outside the classroom was the last thing I expected.

I feel my anxiety rising and my heart beat faster as I lock eyes with the emerald eyed British boy. Part of me wants to go and run in the bathroom, but my legs can’t move. I immediately turn my eyes to Anna and mentally beg her to say something.

“SO Em, Harry and I are about to head to Mustang Sally’s. Would you care to join us?” 

Well look at these two catching on so well. Is she joking? Am I really being asked to go hang out? Well not really hang out I guess. My mind can’t help but think it’s some sort of cruel set up to expose my inability to make simple conversation. Especially with a boy involved. An attractive boy at that. I shudder at the thought but smile to myself at the thought of a simple excuse.

“I would but I’ve got Algebra in an hour...” I close my eyes and glance down at my boots, realizing how stupid I must sound. 

I force myself to stay focused on Anna and stiffen for no reason as she takes a step closer to me. “Are you sure? We shouldn’t be long anyway. If anything you could always ask for a box and bring your food or whatever to your next class.” 

She gives me a reassuring smile and at that point I agree instead of humiliating myself further. I stay behind Harry as Anna leads the way and make sure to keep a solid distance from him. There’s obviously a reason for him to have not introduced himself. Not that I was expecting him to anyway. 

He gives me a small smile and holds the door open for Anna and I as we enter the restaurant. Mustang Sally’s is a place I had become quite familiar with last semester. It’s a dimly lit bar type that serves up typical American classics and is fairly popular amongst FIT’s student body. 

A pretty, curly haired hostess in platforms leads us to a booth and I slide in quietly before checking the time on my phone. 11:55. I should be fine. Should be. Anna and Harry sit uncomfortably close to each other across from me and I instantly dart my eyes to the menu trying to break eye contact. 

“I believe we got off on the wrong foot, love.” I gulp and lock my eyes with Harry as the menu hides most of my face. His eyes are glistening into mine and everything inside me stops.

“W-What?” I mutter as blood flows to my cheeks

“Look at you being a gentleman.” Anna pushes him playfully. Why are they suddenly so close? 

I watch as he extends his hand and gives me a breathtaking dimpled smile. “I’m Harry if you didn’t catch that part.” He chuckles. 

“I-I’m Emma.” Stop stuttering Emma. I return the gesture and place the menu aside, deciding to just order a cobb salad. 

As soon as our waitress comes over to place our orders Harry’s phone starts to ring. His face falls as he looks at it and glances at us both. “Sorry ladies, I have to take this.” We watch him excuse himself and step outside. Anna’s confused expression is equal to mine. 

I lean in closer so that Anna could hear me better. “Do you know him or something?”

She shakes her head. “We saw each other on campus this morning which was why I was so forward with him in class.” She explains. 

“Well did he talk to you about anything?”

She smirks at me. “Why are you so interested?”

“I...don’t even know.” I half-lie. I shouldn’t even care about a boy who I’ll probably never see again. 

“All I got out of him was that he had just moved here and was able to transfer his credits.” I could tell there was more she wasn’t saying but decided to drop the subject.