Chapter 2

((EDITED 5/16/2016))

Picture on the right is Skylar's friend, Will!

--

My dreams were dark and twisted that night. I tossed and turned in my bed, my already hot blood running even hotter, burning and searing through my veins. It wasn't like I had a fever; no, I was burning in expectation. I just knew something was going to happen. As I was forced to give up on sleep around 6am, I knew it had to do with the Meeting.

I slowly sat up in bed, pressing a hand to my burning forehead. My Wolf was agitated; I could feel her growling and pacing deep within my mind. I attempted to reach out and soothe her, but I doubted it had much effect, as I was unsettled myself. I sat there for quite a while, breathing deeply and attempting to calm my burning nerves. What was wrong with me? Was I really that nervous?

I flipped on the TV and mindlessly watched the programs for a couple of hours, not really sure what I was watching, but anything was better than letting my mind take over. After a time, I felt my Wolf settle slightly, though she still felt a static anticipation. 'We must just be frightened of the Meeting. The Black Mountains Pack isn't to be taken lightly,' I whispered to her, feeling a lot like my father.

I swung my legs off of the bed and stood up, stretching. I padded down the stairs to meet the fresh aroma of bacon, eggs, and toast that was wafting throughout the house. I grinned slightly; we would have a long run to get there by evening, as the Meeting was at the far edge of our territory, and we needed all the energy we could get. Despite the fact that the Black Mountains Pack had encroached upon so much of our land, it was still a vast amount of distance to travel until we reached the location of the Meeting. It was a good thing we could run so much faster than normal wolves.

My dad tossed a smile over his shoulder in my direction. I observed him as he cooked, stopping only to greet my mother as she came downstairs. I noticed the tense lines in my father's broad shoulders, and the way his movements were stiff. He was nervous, too, I could tell.

Being Pack Doctor, he had to go. It was his obligation. Our Pack Doctors were trained in battle as well as healing, but it was a sign of extreme disrespect to attack one. My father was high-ranked in the pack and a good negotiator, but he needn't worry about being in danger unless the Black Mountains Pack wished to insult all werewolves by attacking him.

Then again, I thought as I chewed on my bacon, they didn't seem to care much about respecting our laws. They attacked humans, after all. Werewolves may be of superior strength and speed but humans vastly outnumbered us. If it came to all-out war we wouldn't stand a chance.

I scowled into my plate as another round of bacon was shoveled on. I shouldn't think about such things now.

"I think I'll go see Maria before we leave," I informed my parents after I was done with breakfast. My father glanced at me quickly.

"We are leaving in two hours. It will take us until after dark to get there, even at our speed. With you going, there are fourteen of us." I nodded, glad there would be so many of us but not too many to leave the pack unprotected. It was necessary with Black Mountains Pack's superior numbers.

I hurried upstairs and showered, putting on a fresh set of clothes and attempting to tame my frizzy, wayward hair before giving up and exiting the house. My best friend, Maria, was the Beta's daughter and lived several houses down in the valley. Her house was much larger than mine, being that she was of higher rank. It had never bothered me, though, as she didn't treat me any differently....unlike the Alpha's daughter. I growled under my breath at the thought, my Wolf feeling a surge of irritation. My Wolf didn't like Anne either. She took her rank very seriously, and was condescending to many wolves in our pack. Except Maria, oddly. I always wondered if Anne treated Maria more respectfully because the latter was the Beta's daughter, or if Maria was just so nice that their personalities did not clash.