Chapter 24

((I’m a day early! You’re welcome!

Check out the cover on the side made by WetBelle! She used David Gandy, a British supermodel, as Gabriel. I don’t care who you guys use as Gabriel when you make the covers as long as you get his coloring right like she did. :)

The song goes best in the Skylar/Gabriel interaction. I don’t normally like Rihanna but this piece is beautiful and a few people recommended it.

Thanks to my lovely editor, Belle (ItsOnlyGabriella) <3 ))

---

---

An indeterminable amount of time later, the heavy blackness I was swimming in seemed to draw back, letting me claw my way towards the light. I was still surrounded by searing heat but it was at a more tolerable level. Struggling in the confines of darkness, I was afraid of what would happen if I couldn’t get away. In the back of my mind, I felt my Wolf stirring. As I finally escaped the deep recesses of unconsciousness, my eyes snapped open and I sucked in a breath of air as I adjusted to the dim lighting. My skin was sticky with sweat; I was practically swimming in it.

Heart pounding, I glanced around nervously. I was in my room and it was dark outside. I could see a glimmer of moonlight trickling in through my partially closed blinds. My sweltering body was wrapped in blankets and I weakly struggled, attempted to pry my sweaty skin from the fabric. Slowly, the recent events were coming back to me – The Purge, Gabriel’s moonlit-bathed face, the blood-sharing, and then the darkness. I yanked my hand out from under the comforter and glanced at it. There was a thin line across the center of my palm where I had slashed myself. It was already mostly healed but I wondered if it would ever completely fade.

That scar signified that Gabriel was my Alpha now. Tensing, I realized that deep in the back of my consciousness, I could almost sense his presence. It was as if he was hovering just out of reach. It was a sensation similar to when Brett was Alpha. The thought made me nervous; Gabriel could talk to me whenever he wanted . My heart began quickening its pace and my Wolf paced with excitement as I thought about hearing his husky voice inside my head.

Adjusting my position, my eyes roamed the room again. How long had I been out? It was still dark, so perhaps it had only been a few hours. I felt marginally better than before. There was still a lingering itch under my skin but it was bearable and not nearly as excruciating.

There was a loud creak outside my room and the door opened, revealing my disheveled father. His eyes flashed with relief when he saw me and he hurried over.

“Finally,” he breathed, putting a cool head on my hot and sticky forehead.

“How long have I been asleep?” I croaked, my voice rasping against my parched throat.

“An entire day.” I blinked with surprise as my father grabbed a nearby glass of water and brought it to my lips. Gratefully, I swallowed the cool liquid as he tipped it down my throat, draining the cup completely dry.

I studied his face closely. His brows were furrowed with worry and judging by his resigned expression, my father knew exactly what was wrong with me and was hesitant to say it aloud.

“Dad….” I started, trying to sit up, but he reached out a hand and pressed me back into the pillow.

“Skylar, you need to rest.” His voice was firm, leaving no room for argument.