Chapter 19

((EDITED 5/22/2016))

((Dedicated to Jazma43 for making me a book trailer without me even asking! I'm including it in this chapter so you all won't miss it, even though it goes best with the very beginning of the story. Check it out!

Sorry for any errors!))

--

--

--

I shifted back into my Wolf as soon as Gabriel was out of sight. She was itching to turn around and run back to our Mate, but I held her firm. It was easy enough for her to forget the consequences and go with her instincts, she was an animal. As the human side of our consciousness I had to look into the future and worry about what would happen to us.

I contacted my family and Alpha Brett as soon as I was safely inside our pack borders. My parents' shock was tangible as we mind-linked, but I detected a palpable sense of relief there as well. No doubt they were surprised that Gabriel, the "Alpha of the enemy pack", had let me go at all. Before I had gotten to know him I wouldn't have blamed my parents for thinking that way. Now, I found that it irked me. There was so much more to Gabriel than met the eye.

Then again, he had done some cruel and heartless things in the past. I knew there was still a rough and darker side to him that he didn't expose to me, his Mate. It was something I would have to accept if I were ever to be his. The thought of belonging to Gabriel and only Gabriel sent a shudder up and down my spine; not an altogether unpleasant feeling.

I caught a whiff of familiar scents after I broke the mind-link with my family off. It was the border patrol of my pack, fast approaching. I stopped where I was and waited patiently for them to arrive. As the three wolves broke through the undergrowth and circled me, I could see the surprise evident in their eyes.

Skylar! That was Jack, the Beta, his brown and white Wolf towering over my own as he sniffed me cautiously. His confusion translated over the mind-link as he questioned me for an explanation.

It's a long story, I replied, somewhat vaguely, lowering my silver head out of respect for his authority. I do have some information on the vampires I'd like to tell Alpha Brett.

On the run I had been planning what to tell him, making sure Alpha Brett would not think I was leaving anything out so that he would not pry. I had to avoid the Command at all costs; I couldn't possibly fight it, and I would hate myself if I broke my promise and revealed Gabriel's secrets.

He cocked his head, considering, and surprisingly didn't push it. How long will you be back?

I'm not sure.

That seemed to perturb him even more. His eyes flicked to my neck, where he clearly realized that I had no Mating mark. The mark would translate from human form over to our Wolves. Now Jack knew that Gabriel and I hadn't completed the process.

He jerked his head to indicate I join them. Saying a quick hello to the other wolves, I noticed how they looked at me with caution and wariness. I hoped this wasn't a common theme among the other pack members. Leaping after them, we set a steady pace that led us back to the pack village as the sun sank in the sky. The necklace of protection still hung around my neck, much tighter now that my neck was thick and furry, almost too tight. I glanced around as the darkness fell, praying it would be enough and that we'd make it home safely.

---

Thankfully, nothing leapt out of the darkness to attack us as we finally arrived at the pack village. Home. Perhaps I was just being paranoid. Even so, my Wolf's fur was bristled and on alert as we exited the copse of trees and made our way to Alpha Brett's house. Just out of sight of the others, we quickly shifted back into human form before approaching the three figures that stood there.