Chapter 11

((EDITED 5/17/2016. Minor dialogue and continuity fixes. If you see any glaring spelling errors even after I've gone through and re-edited these chapters, don't hesitate to point them out.))

(Brief A/N, rest at the end:

Okay, so by popular demand I decided to put a picture of one of the main characters up. I chose Skylar. Enjoy the chapter)

--

--

Gabriel had been gone for hours. I knew it must be late at night now, but I couldn't sleep; I had paced my room in deep thought, my Wolf's agitation preventing me from relaxing. She was angry that I had watched him nearly lose his temper and done nothing to stop it. Some part of me did feel guilty, but I'd always had a stubborn streak and I still maintained that it wasn't entirely my fault.

He'd urged me to come here with him and now he was giving me the cold shoulder. It was absolutely perplexing to think about the disparity between his actions when he came to save me from the vampires and his actions now. I had been the reluctant one at first, admittedly I was still a little reluctant, but I was willing to try to get to know him, as intimidating as the prospect was. If he kept acting like this, that would be nearly impossible.

The selfish part of me wanted him to feel some of the turmoil he was putting me through. So far Gabriel had gotten his way, mostly without protest, but I wasn't sure how much more I could take. I usually kept my temper under tight control, but something about him kept me constantly on edge.

The Mating bond. You keep resisting our Mate and it's unnatural, my Wolf growled condescendingly.

Right now, he's the one acting like he doesn't want us at all.

I could tell the thought insulted her, but she knew it was true. For all I knew Gabriel was going to storm in and kick me out of his pack's home at any minute.

To distract me from my warring emotions the past couple hours, I had unpacked my bag of necessities, folding my clothes and placing them in the small wardrobe next to my bed. The bathroom was large and had a cabinet for my toiletries, not that I towed around bags of makeup or anything. I usually preferred to keep my appearance natural, unless it was a very special occasion. The bathroom also contained a large claw-foot tub (which I was incredibly excited about, I loved baths) and a stand-in shower. I couldn't help but be begrudgingly impressed that the Alpha house had so many amenities; after hearing so many wolves talk about the savagery of the Black Mountains Pack and witnessing some of their cruelty first-hand, I had almost expected them to live in caves.

I needed to try to forget some of my preconceived notions, I knew. Some were probably correct (the hostility I'd witnessed today was evidence of that), but others clearly were not. I reluctantly admitted to myself that I had to keep an open mind if this was going to work.

I sat on my bed, sighing, and attempting to twist my frizzy mess of curls into some semblance of a bun. One glance in the mirror was frightening enough and I wished I'd had time to shower before meeting Gabriel's pack earlier.

After forcing my hair to comply I glanced around the room. There were a few books to read, stacked on a shelf nearby, but I was too agitated to do so, and there was no T.V. in my room. I narrowed my eyes, an idea coming to me. Perhaps this would be my chance to explore while there was no Gabriel around to hound me. Surely I could find out something about him by examining the contents of his home. He hadn't told me to stay put, had he?

This was probably a terrible idea. Realistically, I accepted that. But if I was getting the cold shoulder from him, then I'd just have to learn about Gabriel through other methods.