Chapter 23

((The song has no words and goes best with the Purge ceremony if you want to listen to it then. Also, the gif on the side is of Will, not Gabriel.

Lastly, shout out to my editor Belle. Saves me the time of painstakingly going over my own work!))

---

---

I sagged against the wall, my relief profound. Even with that single sentence, I felt a lot of the tension leave my body. I placed my hand on the side of the building, letting the coolness of the brick seep into my skin. The feverish sensation was more bearable now but I could only hope I wouldn’t get another dizzy spell like the one a few moments ago.

“How much more healing will he need?” I managed to say, the relief palpable in my voice.

Eva glanced at me out of the corner of her eye but directed her words to Gabriel. “I will need to rest for a few hours but I’ll try again later,” There was an odd note in her voice as she spoke about my father and I couldn’t quite figure it out.

I sighed heavily. Now that I had that small amount of stress off of my shoulders, all I wanted to do was sleep until my dad woke up.

I began to walk towards the entrance of the infirmary, thankful that I could stand. “I think I’ll just stay here tonight. I want to be with him.”

Gabriel opened his mouth to say something but, to my surprise, it was my mother’s voice I heard. She had come to stand in the doorway, and for once there was a glimmer of hope in her blue eyes. “Sweetie, that won’t be necessary. You need to sleep in a comfortable bed; you look exhausted. These infirmary beds are not great to sleep in, I can tell you that.”

I frowned, getting ready to protest, but she cut me off. “Skylar, I won’t take no for an answer. We only live a block away and I can contact you as soon as he wakes up. He wouldn’t want you sleeping here.”

“He wouldn’t want you sleeping here, either,” I retorted.

“He’s my Mate, Skylar. He has needed my soothing touch.” Her delicate brows were furrowed as if she was trying to convince herself that her presence had been helping, somehow.

I looked down at the ground. Hearing the word ‘Mate’ just put me on edge all over again. My mother didn’t seem to notice my expression, but I caught Gabriel examining me out of the corner of his eye.

“Besides, Eva here already told me she needs her space next time. I’ll be waiting outside the infirmary when she goes in to use her Affinity again. There’s no sense in both of us staying up all night out here,” My mother’s tone was ringing with finality. I sighed in defeat. It really would be quite a relief to not be sleeping on one of the infirmary’s rock-hard mattresses.

“Fine,” I muttered. “But I’m going to see him before I go to bed.” Before anyone could argue, I did just that. Striding in the large room, I sat by my father’s side for a few moments as I reassured myself that he did in fact look better. When I felt more secure about leaving him, I kissed his forehead before tiptoeing out of the infirmary as if I was actually at risk of waking him up that very second.

Upon returning outside, I noticed that the wolves Gabriel had brought with him were gathered around. I wondered if they’d been lurking nearby the whole time and heard Gabriel and I’s argument. My cheeks felt warm as the thought crossed my mind.

Gabriel was giving them some sort of muttered instructions and I caught Jack’s and Brett’s names among the hushed words. As my thoughts turned to Brett and the former Luna, I hoped they were okay. I wanted them to receive medical attention from Eva, too, but I knew Gabriel would only get angry at the suggestion. Therefore, I remained silent. I prayed that they would be up and around within the next day or two. Anne deserved a proper funeral. I had not the slightest clue where the blonde’s body was right now, and the image of her corpse disturbed me, so I mentally scrambled for anything that could possibly distract me from the depressing cogitation.