Chapter 14

Rose

The moment Harry and I said our goodbyes that afternoon, I decided that I no longer wanted the thoughts of Jack weighing us down. Therefore I offered to make Harry's favourite dinner, steak stir fry. Also I treated myself to a thorough pampering which included a luxurious bubble bath, waxing and a facemask. Then I contacted Carlos and asked him to escort me to the nearest shopping centre to buy a new dress and underwear, ordering him to keep it a secret between the two of us so that Harry would be surprised when he arrived, and judging by the lust filled kiss we shared, he was. With our foreheads pressed together we worked on slowing our breaths to their normal state.

"That works too." I breathed, a smile hinted on my face.

"I'm sorry, I couldn't help myself." Pulling back he looked me up and down slowly, exhaling loudly through his nostrils as he completed his examination.

"You look incredible." Blushing at his compliment I wrapped my arms around his neck and cuddled him, burying my face in the crook of his neck, which he replicated. As he took a deep breath in, he groaned then stroked his nose down my neck.

"You also smell incredible." His voice was so slow and husky that I almost couldn't understand him, but at that moment it wouldn't have even mattered. It felt so good to be wanted and feel sexy again.

"Thank you." I whispered, before pulling away with a grin. Harry's eyes seemed to light up as he glanced into the dining room, which I'd decorated with candles that gave a soft and somewhat romantic glow.

"Go sit down and pour us some wine while I bring in the food." I told him, already turning away to walk towards the salamander grill where our dinner was kept warm.

"Okay, thank you." He answered before walking through the archway.

Harry watched my every move as I set our plates down onto the table and took a seat adjacent to him.

"You really do look beautiful this evening Rose. That dress is gorgeous."

"Well, you have Carlos to thank for that." I retorted, laughing as Harry frowned.

"How?" Placing a large forkful into his mouth, he continued to frown.

"I asked him to take me shopping before you got back. I even modelled for him too, he has a great eye for fashion. I think he's chosen the wrong career path." Harry's eyebrows shot up making him look shocked and horrified all at once, causing me to burst out laughing.

"You're having me on aren't you?" Enquired Harry with a grin beginning to take over his face. Through my tears of laughter I nodded.

"Of course I am. He has the worst fashion sense I've ever seen." I laughed even harder when the memory of Carlos picking out a shit coloured pleated dress entered my mind. Obviously Harry couldn't join me in my own private joke, but instead watched me intently with what I could only describe as a gentle smile that reached his now smoky blue eyes.

"You have no idea how amazing it is to hear you laugh like that." He stated seriously after I'd sobered.

"It feels amazing." I offered as a reply, before looking down to continue eating.

After a minute of silence Harry spoke up.

"So, what made you cook this lovely meal and dress up? Some sort of special occasion I'm missing out on?" It was too good of an opportunity to miss out on to wind him up, so I put my saddest expression on and answered.

"It's my birthday." Now, it seemed it was Harry's turn to laugh uncontrollably.

"Why are you laughing?" Clearly my plan to make him flustered backfired.

"You're trying to wind me up again. I know exactly when your birthday is, you told me." Still wiping his eyes with a napkin, he chuckled softly.

"You remember my birthday?" I asked him incredulously. None of my previous lovers attempted to remember anything about me, not even my eye colour sometimes.

"Of course I do, November 2nd. I remember everything you've told me, like your favourite colour is red because it reminds you of your favourite Teletubbie or that you prefer winter because you like to snuggle by the fire."

Completely dumbfounded and emotional, my eyes began to water with unshed tears as I stared at the wonderful and obviously attentive man sitting before me. Knowing that someone who I'd known for a short amount of time knew more about me than someone who I have known for longer made me feel overwhelmed with happiness, but also shocked me a little. Harry brushed a hand over my now damp face.

"Hey soppy, don't cry. I've seen your tears too often, no more tonight. Unless they're happy tears then I'll let you off." He finished with a warm smile, placing his hand gently over my smaller one.

"Sorry." I replied weakly, composing myself with a long inhale.

"It's okay. No need to apologise, you can't help how you express your feelings. So, why are we really doing this, besides it being your 'unbirthday'." Smiling at his Disney reference, I tried to think of a way to articulate my thought process.

"I just thought it would be nice to have a relaxing evening and just have fun spending time together without having any thoughts about Jack plaguing us." Fidgeting with the hem of my dress, I watched a pensive expression cross Harry's features before he leaned in towards me and pressed a tender yet wet kiss against my cheek. Pulling back he smiled, a twinkle clear in his eyes.

"So that's exactly what we'll do."