Chapter 11

Harry
I sat at my oak desk in the office thinking about my discussion with Connor Black. It shocked me how vulnerable he became as the conversation grew, explaining his traumatic experience with Jack.

He told me that after he was beaten in Jack's home, he was dragged down to the basement and suffered a further beating; resulting in Connor acquiring Post Traumatic Stress Disorder and becoming a paraplegic, causing his entire life to shatter and his son taking the full blow with him. This disturbed me the most.

Connor further explained the threats he received towards his son, leading to his silence when the police interrogated him. Carlos and I left his home, processing everything he had said, especially his last request. 'Do what you need to do to get justice, just don't bring my name into it' We agreed of course, knowing the repercussions that would follow if his name was spoken of.

My thoughts were broken when Carlos stormed through the door, agitated and stony faced, catching my full attention without a single word spoken.

"What's the matter?" I asked as he remained standing.

"Don't panic, but Jack found Rose." Standing immediately at the sudden rush of adrenaline, I walked over to him.

"What happened? Is she OK? What did that bastard do!" Carlos stopped my rambling with a firm hand to my shoulder.

"I said don't panic. I wouldn't have said that if something had happened to her." The look in his eyes as he spoke gave me confidence in his words, until he frowned and worry laced his features.

"What else?" I demanded.

"Scott was shot."

"Christ. Is he going to be okay?" I couldn't believe that low life had a gun. Carlos sighed.

"Yes, but it was a close call. Rose helped him in her state of shock. She's a good woman." His head bowed, causing me to panic further.

"What are you not telling me?" I demanded once again. Looking me in the eye, he spoke.

"I couldn't tell you. John told me that Scott found Rose naked with Jack wrapped around her." I felt sick.

"And?" My voice wavered.

"And that's all we know, she won't speak besides asking if Scott is okay. I think she feels responsible." After processing this, my body reacted like it never had before. I ran to my hidden bathroom and emptied the contents from my stomach. It was involuntarily. Once I felt safe enough, I flushed the toilet, wiped my mouth then rinsed it out with mouth wash.

"You need to go see her. I'll sort the arrangements here." Carlos spoke from the doorway, seeming more worried than earlier.

"I was planning on it. Keep me updated about Scott." And with that I left to run to Rose's side.

~

I sped through the busy lunch hour streets, my heart hammering the entire journey. Pulling up outside my building, I jumped from the car and entered a vacant lift. I reached my apartment door as I calmed myself down, before walking in and finding myself tackled by a distressed looking Rose. Wrapping my arms tightly around her, I kissed the crown of her head then pulled back slightly to explore her face. Her eyes were red and puffy from crying and a faint bruise formed around her lips.

Looking to John, who was perched on my recliner, I indicated for him to leave with the point of my thumb to the door. Once he left I returned my attention back to Rose, who wore a plain white T-shirt and black cotton shorts, which showcased a deep purple bruise in the shape of a hand on her upper thigh. I barely fought back the urge to vomit again as I led her to the sofa.

"Are you all right?" I asked, not letting my hand leave hers. She simply shook her head, biting down on her bottom lip that quivered.

"What happened?" I asked, feeling an overwhelming desire to know every detail.

"Is Scott okay?" Asked Rose, avoiding my question.

"Yes, he'll be fine. Now answer my question." I told her calmly, although I felt anything but. She faced the floor and my stomach flipped. The last time she dropped her gaze when explaining something to me, she told me about her harrowing experience with rape.

"I was taking a shower in the hallway and he came in. He tried to touch me so I kneed him in the bollocks and ran for my room, naked." She inhaled deeply before she continued.

"He barged through my door then put his arms around me, touching me all over and grabbing my thigh. I couldn't breathe because he had his hand over my mouth and nose. That was when Scott pulled him off me." Wrapping my arms around her as she trembled, I asked her the question that I feared.

"So he didn't... R-ra-" I couldn't stop choking on my words, but it didn't matter as Rose answered me regardless.

"No, he didn't get the chance to." She spoke calmly now, like my arms enclosing her brought her tremendous comfort. I exhaled loudly.

"Good." Was all that I could say, kissing her temple lightly.

"I feel so bad for Scott. I really didn't want anyone to get hurt." Rose told me as she sniffed loudly.

"It wasn't your fault Rose. It's Scott's job to protect you at any cost and he did." I regretted saying that when she moved away from me and stared incredulously.

"How can you say that? He doesn't work for me, he works for you." She looked damn right pissed and I didn't know why. Staying calm was essential at this moment, or I know she'll leave me again and I couldn't let that happen, even if I had to hold her captive.

"He does work for me and I gave him orders to protect you. If you want anyone to blame for this, then blame me."

"Yes, but if it wasn't for me he wouldn't have been shot!" She shouted as she stood, pulling at her hair in despair. Standing just as abruptly as she had, I grabbed hold of her wrists and pinned her arms behind her back, essentially hugging her in the process.

"Calm down. Scott will be fine, this is his job and he knew the risks getting into it. This. Is. Not. Your. Fault. It's Jacks. If you want someone to blame, it's him. So channel your anger towards him, not yourself." My voice grew louder near the end of my speech as my emotions took hold of me, but I saw the change in Rose's eyes when I was finished.

"You're right." She accepted, so I released her wrists and snaked my arms around her torso instead. I felt so good to be able to hold her again.

"I'm always right." This brought a small smile to her face, which was my intention, although it didn't last long.

"Can I go see Scott? Just to see for myself that he's all right." I didn't like how often she was bringing Scott into the conversation, my green eyed monster definitely peeking through the gaps of my mind. Pushing my jealous thoughts aside I nodded, thinking it would be a good idea to see him for myself aswell. Smiling sweetly up at me, she planted a gentle kiss upon my cheek.

"I'm going to put some trousers on." Stated Rose.

"I'll wait here for you." I told her as her body left my sight. This is as far out of my sight that I'm letting her get. I'm not letting her leave me again. Not this time.