Father's Day Special [Bonus Chapter]

Father's Day Special Part 2

Please read author's note at the end of the chapter to understand what's going on. Thanks!

Mr. Rhiner POV

"Dan!"

I turn to see my wife with her hands on her hips and that irritated look on her face. I've come to see more and more and I hate that I'm the reason it's there.

"Yes, darling?"

She comes stand next to me and slaps my hands away while she fixes my tie. "Dan, now Danny is going to be here soon, and I do wish you would just be happy for him. I wish you would be happy that he's found a girl and loves her so much."

I internally groan. This talk again, I love my son but I have a promise and I will keep it. I'm happy for him, I really am. The thing is how can I be when I know that she may leave him once she has sucked him dry of all that he has. I've seen it happen to many of my friends's sons. I just don't want my son to be the next one on that list.

"Darling, I am happy for him. It's just I don't trust her." I tell Audrey hoping that maybe this time she'll be on my side of things.

"Dan, why? Why must you continue on this issue!?" She steps away from me but I quickly grab her hand. "What?" She snapped at me.

"Audrey, listen to me. I love you, I love our children and I love the life we have. I just only want the best for our kids and Danny is so foolish sometimes and well he's too fragile when it comes to his heart." I tell her and I see her anger starting to go away. "He's a lot like you, he loves too much and can't but feel all the pain no matter how small or big. He's just like you and I just want to protect him."

She walks back into my arms. "Dan, I know but she's a good girl. She wants the best out of life and loves him so much. They are happy and maybe your job is over?"

I see my wife staring up at me with hope that I'll come around. I just can't shake it, that there's something about them that they aren't telling the world. Call me crazy, but something fishy is going on and I'll figure it out.

I look down at her and shake my head. She just doesn't understand what it's like to be kicked down all your life and when you reach greatness to still have to prove that you are worthy. She'll never understand the fear I have that I might not be good enough for her, my children or even my peers. She just doesn't get that I work twice as much and I'm gone more than one should be so that her and our children do not have to worry about the future. I live each day to provide for them and I always will.

"Audrey, my job is never over. I'll always be here for my children. I can't relax or let her in, she will always put her brother first and she'll leave Daniel if it comes down to it. She'll leave him heartbroken and all alone. I will not stop trying to get her out of this family before that type of damage can be done."

I tell Audrey the same thing I was telling myself. I want to love the girl like another daughter, but I can't. She's too much of a liability to my son's heart and life moving forward. I will be mean and nasty, I will keep it up until they have a child or until a year has passed or...or until I feel confident that she's not leaving and deserves to have the Rhiner last name.

"Dan, just be nice. The whole family is here to celebrate your birthday and it would be nice if you and Danny wouldn't get into it." She said and before kissing me on the cheek then leaving me to finish getting ready.

I hate birthday parties. I'm too old for this shit and I just want to get away with my wife and spoil her more than ever. Now, I do love my kids and grandkids, but I see them so much already. You swear that they haven't moved out of this house. I know Audrey wants them home and never leave but seriously I want to just sit around and drink while watching golf.