Chapter 11

Emily

I'm down to one job, I still leave the house and just hangout at the park. I hate lying to Collin and everyone, but I don't want to be a failure or a pity case. I want to make my parents proud. I just don't want Collin to worry about this, I want him to be happy and enjoy life while he can.

"I guess I should go to work. Who knows maybe something great will happen." I tell myself as I look down at my watch.

I slowly make my way, the thought of Christmas being in a couple days is making me depressed. I have no money to get Collin anything. I could care less about my friends or Daniel, they would understand.

I just wanted Collin to have the same Christmas experiences I had when I was his age.

The day went by slow, with each passing day  business got slower and slower due to the holidays. I just wanted to go home, I needed to find another job fast and soon.

"Emily, sweetheart please come here." Mrs. Ranker said to me as I was clocking out to go home.

"Great she'll most probably either fire me or cut my hours again, just what I need before the place closes for Christmas." I tell myself as I dreaded going see the lady.

"Ah Emily, I was so glad to catch you before you left for the holidays." She said while pulling out an envelope.

"Oh, I would have told you bye and wished you a Merry Christmas, Mrs. Ranker before I left." I tell her, knowing that no matter happens next I could never hate her and will always cherish our friendship.

She hands me the envelope. "What is this?" I question her unsure as to what to do.

"Open it." Was all she told me.

I open the envelope and what I found was the best thing ever. "A check! It's a check and its for a hundred dollars! What is this for?"

She just smiles at me and gives me a hug. "It's a Christmas gift, take it you deserve it and so much more. Merry Christmas Emily."

I left work happy as could be, I got on the bus and realized that if you don't give up, good things will come.

I was in my room and I heard a knock at my door. "Come in Collin!"

The door opened and a overly confident Daniel stood there leaning against my doorway. "It's not Collin, it's me."

I looked at him, wanting to know how he got into my house. But I just got money to buy Collin a gift and nothing was going to bring down my mood. "How and why are you here?"

"Your brother let me in, and I need your help shopping for Christmas gifts."

I want to say no, but then realized he could bring me to the mall and I could go get Collin his gift.

"Sure, let's go."

~*~

It was funny seeing him try to pick out toys for little girls. "Sorry, just normally I just give them money."

"What? You give children money instead of a gift!" I was shocked, what person gives a baby a twenty dollar bill? Wait, in his case a hundred dollar bill.

"Yeah, I don't know what to buy and I don't have time for this type of stuff. So I just go and tell whoever is my personal assistant at the time to buy girly cards and there Christmas and all holidays done." He said as if this was a normal thing to do.

I looked at him with disappointment. "That's not right, fair, or logical to give to children. They should have gifts and have fun opening them up." I told him as I drug him into another toy store.