Chapter 12

Daniel

Beep! Beep! Beep!

"Just 10 more minutes." I say as I hit the snooze button and roll over and back to sleep.

Ring! Ring! Ring!

"Shit! Who's calling me now?" I roll over and look at my phone. "Taylor, of course it's him." I just ignored the call and tried to get some more sleep.

Ring! Ring! Ring!

"Fuck!" I yell as I sit in the bed and look at my phone again. "I just want some damn sleep." I see who's calling, and I answer the phone.

"Merry Christmas Mom!" I say in my most cheerful voice.

I hear her shuffling something in the background. "Morning Daniel, now tell me what time you are arriving and are you bringing Emily?"

Well this was a rude wake up call. She didn't even say "Merry Christmas", I do know that if this was Emily she would have said it to me.

"Mom, why are you asking?"

"Danny, your father is coming in and well he wants to see you. Plus I have a lot of things to do today and worrying about you shouldn't be on the list."

Fuck, my father is coming in and he isn't happy that I'm with Emily. Oh well, I'm with her and that's that, he's just going to have to get over it.

"Okay, whatever." I tell as I turn off my alarm clock.

"Daniel! Don't give me that attitude."

"Sorry, mom. Yes I'm bringing Emily and Collin, if that's okay. We were planing on coming over around one o'clock."

Her mood and tone immediately changed when  I mentioned Collin's name.

"Daniel, of course that boy is invited. If you won't give me a grandson then I'll have to live that experience through him. Danny, please don't get into it with your father."

I couldn't promise anything, especially since he doesn't see me as his son anymore. He just looks at me as another asset to his success, and nothing more.

"I'll try mom. I will be pleasant but if he starts I can't promise I'll hold my tongue."

"Okay Danny, I'll see you this afternoon."

With that she hangs up the phone, with no goodbye or I love you.

Just then I hear my bedroom door open. I look over and see Taylor standing in the doorway.

"How the hell did you get into my apartment?" I ask him, while trying to figure out if I locked the door last night. I don't remember anything from yesterday except for the fact that I'm engaged, seeing Emily genuinely happy, and that I'm allowed to kiss her with no consequences.

Taylor shows me his keys. "Um dude, when we went to the mall and you ask Collin to hold your keys while you tried on some pants. I took your house key and made a copy while I made the copy of Emily's key." He tells me as if I'm supposed to already know this information.

"Fine, then what are you doing here? Why are you in my apartment and why did you call me this morning?"

He just smiles at me and hands me a mug of coffee. I didn't even see him holding the two mugs of coffee. "Well, Merry Christmas and did you finally grow some and ask her?"

"When did you have coffee with you?"

"Um they've been siting here on the hall table."

"Oh. Yeah I asked her yesterday when we were opening Christmas gifts." I tell with a smile as I remembered yesterday and how real and genuine it was with everything going on.