Chapter 7

Erwin just stood in the doorway, a stern look in his eyes that brought fear into her heart. This wasn’t supposed to happen. She should have just gone back when she had the chance. He stepped forward and she gripped the blanket, despite her injury, and pulled it up to her face. “Corporal, please leave us alone for a moment.”

“I don’t think that’s a good idea.” Levi stood, holding his gaze. Erwin’s brow twitched. “Let me just start by saying it’s not her fault. It was all-”

“Now.” Erwin growled, interrupting him midsentence. He seemed to be debating, but eventually Levi turned and left the room. As soon as the door closer, he turned to her and she flinched. He sat down on the edge of her bed and his expression softened drastically. “Why did you do it?”

Tears blinded her and she sniffed, wiping her eyes. She wrapped her arms around his torso and buried her face into his shirt. “I’m so sorry Erwin. I wanted to go back, I tried to go back. Please believe me. Please don’t hate me. Don’t tell me to go away or that you never want to see me again. It was an accident and I couldn’t sleep because I was worrying so much.”

He held her and ran his fingers through her hair. “Why would I say something like that? I’m upset with you, but it only makes me what to keep you closer at my side. I’m glad you are okay, but what if something had happened?” She just cried harder onto his chest, not wanting to move from her spot. He kissed her head and rubbed circles in her back. “Don’t cry, there’s nothing to be worried about.” He pulled her back and used his thumb to wipe her tears.

“Erwin…” Katrina felt small and just wanted to hide away from him. All she ever did was cause him trouble and cry. They stared at each other for a moment, before she looked away. He reached out, lifting her head up and leaning down. Her heart pounded, unsure of what she was supposed to do in that moment.

Erwin’s lips softly pressed against hers, and she was afraid her heart was going to jump out at any moment. His hand moved to the back of her head and his teeth grazed her lip, slightly pulling it. She never thought once that this situation would ever appear, and now that it has, she wasn’t sure how to handle it. The man that she loved for so long was kissing her.

Coming to her senses, she pushed him away, shocked and feeling dizzy. What was wrong with him? “Erwin, I’m sorry.” Standing quickly, she hurried out of the room, grabbing her jacket and cloak along the way. What was wrong with her? Isn’t that what she always wanted?

“Katrina, where are you going?” She stopped and noticed Levi in front of her. She started crying and hurried with her jacket. “Stop, what are you doing? What did he say to you?” Shaking her head, her feet moved her pass him, leading her away, somewhere else. “Why won’t you let me protect you?”

She paused again, looking down. Turning to look at him, she felt sick. “I don’t need protection. I need fresh air, now leave me alone.” When she was sure he wasn’t going to follow, she ran away, leaving the entrance. Rushing to the stables, she threw the saddle over her horse and climbed up. Snapping the reins, she rode over the small bridge and into the forest.

Levi would be angry if he knew she was out here, but all she had to do was go back and show them that she was alright. But her mind kept switching back to Erwin and her head felt dizzier. Slowing the horse, she slid off and leaned against the tree.

“What have I done? He probably thinks I ran away from him.” She sighed and covered her face, face burning. A loud noise distracted her and she looked behind the tree she was against, her eyes growing wide. A titan was heading her way, each step causing a tiny rumble on the ground.

Heart pounding, she went to her horse, but he seemed to have been spooked and ran off. Stomping her foot on the ground in anger, she crossed her arms and looked back at the titan. It was getting closer, to which it now noticed her, moving quicker. Shaking slightly, she looked down and noticed she was missing her gear.

“Stupid, stupid!” Katrina started to run, her adrenaline spiking. Yet, it didn’t seem to be enough as a shadow casted over her. Looking back, a hand was outstretched out to her and she jumped to the side, missing it. Taking a deep breath, she watched as it’s hand swung at her, catching her off guard. She slammed against a tree, her back searing with pain.

She ducked and rolled away as the tree was broken in half by the same hand. Panicking, nothing was working, and it was only getting closer to grabbing her. She felt paralyzed, the sudden pain in her back not allowing her to move properly. Giving up, she let it take her, pulling her off the ground and staring at her in a way that gave her chills.

She gasped as it tightened its hand around her, breaking her bones. Screaming, blood gushed out of her mouth, trickling down her. “Erwin! Levi!” Her voice started to fade, as well as her vision. “Help me…” She got closer and closer to its opened mouth. Her body grew limp and her head rolled back.

It was over.