Chapter 3

Erwin had come home that night and wrapped up her ankle. He made her sleep next to him in case she started feeling anymore pain. Though she knew it was all because of her nightmares. All night, she would stare at his sleeping face, the calmness and relaxed expression he held. Not once when she would sneak into his room and watch him, would he not be tense.

Rolling over and closing her eyes, Katrina curled into a ball, shivering slightly as the chilled air made its way into the house. Arms wrapped around her and she was pulled against his chest. “Are you cold?” She nodded, though her body was suddenly growing warmer. “Go to sleep now.”

“But Erwin, it’s morning. We should get up.”

“Just lay here for a bit, I can sleep in.”

“Everyone will be mad though, you should get-”

“Katrina.” Erwin growled, squeezing her. She shut up after that and closed her eyes, deciding it was best to just listen to what he said and go with it. Whenever he’d use her name alone, she knew better than to keep talking. But she couldn’t go to sleep, not with him being so close. It was different back then. Now, she was all grown up and she couldn’t stop the rushing of her blood and rapid pounding of her heart.

He had already drifted back to sleep, leaving her there to listen to the thumping in her ears. The silence was screaming at her and she just wanted to drown it out. Humming quietly to herself, she tried to go back to sleep, but it was impossible.

The strong, warm arms around her moved away and he grumbled, sitting up. “Fine, I’ll get up. You keep making so much noise over there.” Standing, Erwin held out his hand, waiting to pull her up without hurting her foot. “You should be grateful for the things I do for you.” She nodded, knowing what he means and he knows she’s grateful for it.

He kept her steady as he led her to the table, sitting her down and pulling up a chair of his own. Taking her foot and slowly unwrapping the bandage, he cleaned the bruised foot before wrapping it again. “I want you to take extra care of yourself today, got that?”

“Yes, Erwin. What is it that you have me doing today?” She tied up her hair and straightened her baggy shirt he had given to her.

Erwin cleared his throat and stood up. “I need you to escort Corporal Levi’s squad to the gate. They are going to be out for a while, so just take them there, and come back. Since you are injured, just riding your horse will be fine.”

“You’re not going with them? Why are they leaving the gate? That’s really dangerous!” Katrina paused for a moment, and she looked up at him. He turned, his blue eyes fixed on her. “Isn’t that the Military Police’s job?”

“No, they work for the higher ups. They have no part in this. I need you to make sure nothing happens.” He crouched in front of her and took her hand. “You will not go outside the gate, you got that? Once they leave, you come straight back here. Stay with Mike, and wait for me.”

Katrina nodded and looked away from him. “Are you leaving again? Did they call you to the capital?” She hated when he had to leave. It was always so long and lonely without him here.

Erwin chuckled and smiled softly. “Yes, I’m sorry Katrina. I’ll bring you back something nice.” She smiled and pressed his hand to her cheek. He was the kindest person she’s ever met, and it made her fill with joy. She was glad she loved him, but if only he’d feel the same about her. “Now go get ready, it’s time for you to leave.”

Taking a deep breath, she stood and limped back to her room, where she changed into her uniform and threw on her cloak. “I’m going now.” She mentioned, looking around for him, yet he wasn't there. Waiting patiently, she tried to stay off her bad foot. “Erwin?”

He stepped out of his room clad in his uniform. “Go on, you don’t need to tell me you’re going.”

Katrina nervously bit her lip and waved, running, in an odd way, out the door. Hurrying to the stables, she met up with Eren and another man from the squad. “This is Gunther.” Eren introduced them and he turned back to her. “Commander Erwin sent you here to escort us? I wonder why.”

“Maybe to test your loyalty.” Gunther laughed and patted her shoulder. “He takes good care of you, just remember that, Katrina.” She smiled and nodded. She wasn’t really sure what he meant by that. Did Erwin not trust her? She always listened to him when he said not to do something, and even joined the Survey Corps for him.

“Katrina, glad you could join us. Get on your horse and let’s go, it’s not that far from here.” Levi stepped over, eyeing her. “Should you be walking on that?”

Feeling embarrassed, she bobbed her head. “It’s just a bruise. Erwin wouldn’t have let me come out if it was too bad. Don’t worry about me; I’m just going to be escorting you.” Katrina put her head down but looked up and limped to her horse, grabbing his reins. She was embarassed for always being scolded by him, but her spirit shot back up.

Another man helped her up onto her horse, and she soon learned his name to be Erd. The whole squad was really nice to her, especially Petra Ral. She was the only woman there and she was as sweet as can be. “Katrina, are you really living with Erwin? Are you two together, perhaps?”

Air caught in her throat and she started coughing and wheezing, leaning forward on her horse. How did she come up with something like that? Katrina had never thought of it that way. Was that what everyone else thought as well? Finally able to breathe again, she sat back up and stared at her, eyes wide. “Oh no, we aren’t together!”

Petra grinned knowingly and tilted her head. “You didn’t have to have a fit over it, you could have just said no. It would have let you off the case for a while.” She chuckled and swerved her horse and cantered beside her. Leaning over closely she whispered, “And here I thought you liked Corporal Levi.”

“Levi?!” She gasped, startling her horse. She calmed him down, petting him and whistling softly. “Why would you think that? I only recently just met him.”

Petra shrugged, smirking at her. “Well I thought that because you are here to escort us to the gate. It’s not that far and not much will happen along the way. I just thought it was odd.”

She had to admit, it was strange, but Erwin had sent her here and she wasn’t going to say no. “I think so too, but I was ordered. Maybe he just thought I’d be bored sitting at home all alone. He’s going to the capital and asked me to come back. Mike is going to stay back and keep me company.”

Her eyes moved and she stopped as she got closer to the wall. The gate started to open and Levi went ahead of everyone. He slid off his horse and started talking to someone. They seemed hesitant, but saluted and jumped on their horse, riding away. “What is he doing?”

“I think he’s telling him to send a message that we arrived.” Auruo, the other man with them spoke up.

Katrina shook her head. “I could’ve done that. It wouldn't be any different if I left now, just as that man.” Snapping the reins, her horse sprinted ahead and she slowed down beside the Corporal. “What did you just do? I could go back and tell them myself.”

Levi stared up at her with the same hardened expression he always had. “No, you couldn’t. Because you are coming with us.”