Chapter 10

The air dispersed and nothing was left besides a chilling emptiness. There was blood everywhere, staining the skin of innocent victims. Rain suddenly poured, flooding the inhabitants and left those gasping for air. 

Under all that darkness, Katrina was among those, drowning in the past and trying to escape it. She turned around repeatedly, and it seemed as though a memory was passing through her head. A light appeared and men in green cloaks and swords in their hands started walking towards her. They were swinging at anyone near by, spilling blood. They were the good guys, always there to protect, but she grew fearful and started running.

It was the only way to survive, to live. She had to run. Someone screamed after her, but she just kept going without looking back. That is, until she ran into another man, knocking her down. The man looking at her grinned and held out her hand.

-

Sitting up in a panic as the sunshine blinded her eyes, she held her chest, forgetting how to breathe. A touch around her waist made her jump and she moved her gaze to the man asleep beside her. His blonde hair was hanging everywhere, straying from their hold against his head. No matter how she looked at it, he seemed tensed and uneasy, especially malnourished.

Tilting her head, Katrina reached down and pushed his hair away, lightly touching his face. Letting out a soft sigh, he didn't stir in the slightest. "Erwin. I think you fell asleep here again. Come on, wake up, I'll take you to your room."

"We made a promise." The Commander mumbled, hugging her tighter and she watched his sides heave as he took a deep breath. She stopped trying to wake him, staring. A promise? Another problem was he never talked in his sleep. He body tensed and he looked up, his brilliant blue eyes gazing up at her. "Katrina."

She chuckled, rubbing her thumb on his cheek. "You fell asleep in here aga-ah!" He pulled her down roughly, crushing her against him. He sat up and she sat between his legs, her ear against his chest, hearing the hyper thumping of his heart.

"Thank god you are alright. I was so worried you would never wake up." He pulled her back and pressed his lips against hers, and then proceeded to pepper her face with kisses. 

Katrina laughed but was worried about him. "Erwin, what are you doing? Calm down, what are you talking about?" 

"You were out for about three days." Levi stood in the doorway, watching them. "We were supposed to leave, but he wouldn't leave your side."

She tilted her head but gasped, a shooting pain crushing her skull and she bent over. Memories flooded her mind, of when she was hit by the titan, to the last moment. But also of the dream she had. It was such a weird dream, she could barely recall it. She felt dizzy and someone was pushing her down against the bed, dipping her head in water.

As her vision slowly grew back, Levi and Erwin were leaning over her, and a wet cloth was on her forehead. "I remember everything. I remember so much." She grabbed both of them, feeling tired again. "Why didn't you guys tell me?"

"Erwin!" A soldier hurried through the door, startling all of them. "You are needed, come quickly!" 

He didn't move at first, gripping her hand tightly. He looked to Levi and sighed, pulling her hand up and kissing it. "I'll be right back."

Once he left, Levi sat down on the bed next to her, squeezing her hand. "Katrina, are you alright? What do you remember?" With the other hand, he took the cloth from her head. 

"I remember you. We met before. I was eighteen and it was all very strange. It has to be a memory, since I couldn't dream something like that. Don't you remember? You saved me from those men, that's how I got this scar." She pointed to her forehead. Even her own words weren't making sense, but how could she not tell him?

"Yes, but why are you remembering something like this all of a sudden? It's not really the issue at hand is it?"

Katrina closed her eyes, exhausted. "Maybe I just needed to remember something good after what happened. Though I only had a nightmare before I woke up. Perhaps I'm just crazy." She couldn't stop thinking about Erwin though. Was that what he was talking about in his sleep? The marriage promise? There was no one he even remembered that.

"Levi, go get ready, we are leaving soon." Erwin stepped back in, anger in his expression. "Katrina." There it was again, her name used alone. She sat up nervously. "I'm sorry, but we are going to have to leave you here."

Oh. She nodded and smiled to Levi as he got up, leaving the room. "Erwin, can I ask you something?" 

He stopped and his features slowly becoming calmer. "Anything."

"What was my promise to you?" She bit her lip, afraid she might upset him again. "You said that we made a promise, while you were sleeping."

Erwin shook his head before scratching his chin. "I'm not sure. If I remember, I'll let you know." She nodded, hanging her head. "Hey, don't do that. Cheer up, I'll be right back. Whatever that promise was, I'm going to keep it." 

She smiled, her heart beating quickly. He stepped over and pulled her head up, giving her a long and soft kiss. Why did he keep doing that? Her heart was going to be able to handle it much longer, afraid he's just messing with her. But then again, he wasn't one to do that, to play games on people. 

Lying down, Katrina held her pounding head, but grinned. Her cheeks warmed and she covered her face with the sheet, closing her eyes. She was tired still, but now she didn't know if sleep would come her way.