Chapter 14

A couple men from the Military Police opened up the cell, walking in with their rifles at their sides, giving her a look over. One of them stepped in, holding out metal cuffs. Sighing, she stood up and held out her hands, watching as they took off her restraints to put on new ones. Each took her arms and started roughly pulling her out of the cell.

What was going on? Was the second trial today? That's right, her life depended on just this day. The guards brought her up to the main level, filled with more soldiers. They all glared at her with the same hatred and disgust.

There it was. The room that she dreaded. The large doors opened slowly, the chatter of people filling her ears, and she was pushed in. The guards led her back to her stand, and the noise decreased as they became aware of her presence.

"Katrina. Do you have anything to add while you are here?" The same man from before was seated in front of her.

She tilted her head, too tired to get worked up. "I don't understand what you mean." Was he giving her a chance to clear her name, or to say her final words before she was sent away?

"Do you remember anything that could be useful? As in, how you've come to be the thing you are?"

She shook her head, unable to answer. Nothing was coming to her, her mind wasn't properly working. She just wanted to go home and sleep. Her eyes looked for Erwin, and when she found him, she smiled.

"Commander, do you have anything?"

Erwin nodded, standing tall and his expression composed as always. "Katrina has been under my care since she was a child. She has always been by my side since then. I know her better than anyone in this world. If she is to be watched, it should be me."

"And what will happen if she turns on you?" A man wearing a Military Police crest spoke, his glare aimed at the Commander.

Erwin looked about to speak, but he was interrupted by Hanji. "I would also like to place myself in this. If you hand her over to me, I will gladly work to find the cause." She gave the Commander a look, as if she was saving him from having to answer.

"Killing her would be pointless, and reckless." Erwin started, his soft eyes watching her from above. "Which is exactly why you should give her to the Survey Corps."

The judge turned to her, but he soon skipped over her and turned to the other side. "Do we all agree?"

"I think we should just kill her, but I have nothing left to say."

The man nodded and was quiet as he looked around the room. It was killing her what the decision would be. But all she could do was tiredly lean again the post, waiting.

"What I'm about to say will not be taken lightly. If you go against it, you will be executed, Ms. Reich. Major Hanji, I trust you will succeed in your cause, and send in reports daily. Everything can begin as usual. This trial is over."

It was silent. Nobody yelled, nobody cheered. The guards unhooked her and some escorted Hanji, Levi, and Erwin down to her. Her legs hurt, she was weak, but she held herself up the best she could.

"Thank you, Hanji." Katrina whispered, her lips forming a small smile.

Erwin patted her head. "I'm going to go speak with the judge. I'll meet you back at Major's."

As the two led her out of the dreaded room, she looked to Levi. "What is going to happen now?" It all seemed too easy to be real.

He shook his head, being cautious of the people eyeing them. "I'm not sure. Something isn't right though. We need to be careful."

---

Hey everyone! I've updated! It might be really short, I apologize but here is just a quick one. Hopefully I can keep updating but we'll see.