Chapter 4

“Excuse me?” Katrina wasn’t sure she heard him right. Go with them? Go where? Leave the gate and ignore Erwin’s orders? Not possible. “I can’t. Corporal, I don’t understand why you are saying this. I promised Erwin I would go back after taking you to the gate.”

Levi’s eyes narrowed in the slightest way and he climbed back onto his horse. Backing up next to her, he ripped the reins out of her hands and pulled her along with him. “We are leaving!” He called to the rest of the squad.

Eyes wide, she tried to take back the reins. “Stop it, what are you doing?! I can’t go with you!”

“Corporal Levi, what are you doing?” Erd rode over, concern written all over his face. She turned around at the screeching sound from behind her. Horror filled her and panic set in. The gate closed and there was no way back in.

Taking the leather reins, she turned her horse quickly and snapped them. The creature snorted and started sprinting away, staying close to the wall. She had to find a way in. If she could reach another gate, they had to open it for her. If she could just get back in, Erwin wouldn’t know or be angry with her, even if it wasn’t her fault.

“Katrina! What the hell are you doing?”

She swiveled her head back to see Levi nearing. Growling, she leaned forward, nudging the horse to go faster. He was mad, crazy, and insane, for bringing her out here, when he knew she wasn’t allowed to. She only hoped Erwin wouldn’t find out.

A horse moved in front of her and she pulled the reins, panicking that she’d run right into him. The horse knew better and slowed any way it could. “What do you want?”

“I’m not going to let you miss out on this. You can’t keep being sheltered by Erwin and not know what is going on outside these walls. Do you know how to kill a titan, to even move around one?” She put her head down, unable to look at him. “One day, the titans might take down all of the walls, and we all have to be prepared for that. Erwin’s not going to be around to save you all the time.”

Katrina balled her fists and glared, kicking his leg. “Shut up, you don’t know what you are talking about. That won’t happen. I’ll leave the walls at some point, but when I’m allowed to.” She moved around him and lightly kicked the horse to move. “I’m leaving.”

A shake of the ground startled the horse and she stopped, looking up to see a titan walking towards her slowly. “We can’t fight like this.” It was true, the ground was flat and there wasn’t anything but the wall near them.

“What do we do?” She cried, backing up by him on the horse, fear rising.

She noticed him looking around, until he started off to the side. “Head for the trees. If it follows, we’ll be able to take it down from there. It’ll be easier to use the 3D gear.”

Katrina nodded and followed beside him, heading for the forest of trees. They weren’t far, but it’d take some time to get there. She looked back and it seemed they had caught the attention of the aberrant and it was running closely behind. “Levi, what is even out here that you and your squad would leave the walls for?”

He was silent for a moment, before looking back and blinking. “Again, sheltered. We have a headquarters out here when we need to be stationed. It’s where the others are headed right now.”

“Headquarters? Erwin never said there was something like that out here. He only told me that there were titans.”

“Maybe he was just going to keep you locked up there.” Katrina narrowed her eyes and stuck her tongue out at him when he wasn’t looking. Moving her eyes back to the titan, she saw that it was no longer behind them. “Just keep moving, it’s up ahead anyways.”

She nodded and snapped the reins, moving ahead of him. He yelled after her but she just kept going. The forest was so close that she was impatient to go into it. A titan appeared from the side and she screamed, dodging it’s foot and shooting pass the trees. Stopping, she looked back, seeing Levi on the other side.

Sliding off her horse, she pulled out her swords and grappled into the trees. She sent them into the neck of the titan and allowed it to pull her to it. Spinning, she carved the blades into the nape of the neck, slicing a chunk out of it.

Dropping down next to the titan’s body, she put her swords away and grinned at Levi. “Were you scared? Luckily I came to the rescue.”

“Don’t get cocky, brat. So you do know how to kill them.” Levi walked back with her to her horse, who was trotting around like he was waiting.

Climbing back on, she laughed. “Yeah, I never said I didn’t. Erwin took me out and showed me what to do. What? You thought I got into the Corps just because he’s the Commander?” He didn’t have anything to say as he just went on. Shrugging, she followed, smiling. The adrenaline was still pumping in her heart and she actually enjoyed the rush. “So where is this place?”

It was so dark in the forest, from the lack of sun entering, and she couldn’t see a thing. Pursing her lips, she looked around, trying to focus her eyes. “It’s up ahead, just keep going. Who knows what’s hiding in here.”

Katrina looked over at him, sighing as his rough attitude. But he didn’t seem like he was that bad of a person. “And here I thought you liked Corporal Levi.” Her face burned and she looked away from him. How could she ever like a man who was rude and expressionless? “At the pace we are going now, we are never going to make it before the sun sets!”

“Then should be stop and rest for a bit? I want you to check your foot too.” Levi looked over, his hooded eyes softening for a second. “Follow me.”

Would that be safe at all? Where would they stay to be safe if possible? Levi tied up his horse and hers, and grabbed her cloak, grappling up into the tree. “Hey, what are you doing?!” He set her down on a branch and landed on the one beside her.

Levi sat down and leaned against the trunk, watching her. “We’ll stay up here. Get some rest and we’ll continue after.”

Katrina sighed and did the same, but closed her eyes. She wasn’t all that tired, but it was best if she did save some energy. She thought about Erwin, and how mad he would be if she didn’t hurry back. Yet, now that she was out here, she wanted to explore.