27) Eh Tu

Eh Tu

Eight Hours Ago

            I wasted no time getting what I needed for my next game, and getting it set up. I whistled while I work already having players in mind and thinking about how much fun this game was going to be for me. Once I was done I roamed the halls of the Fun House. There were a lot of memories to be had in this place. Not just my games but pure memories as well, from when this place was whole and white and not the burnt out shell that it is now.

            I walked to one of the rooms that I haven't been in for years. This room was burnt the worse since this was the room where the fire started. I walked over to the bed that was in the room. Even now I could still smell a faint hint of burning flesh, could remember the panic that overflowed the halls. Doctors, nurses, patients alike running through the halls like chickens with their heads cut off.

            My mother held my hand as we rushed towards the main entrance. She braked off orders to get the ones unable to help themselves out first. I remember standing at the bottom of the hill my mother standing and crying next to me as we watched the hospital, her hospital burn. I found one of the chairs that was in the room and sat down in it. There are some days in your life that are burned in your memories and this day was one of them.

            I was no older than nine sitting in this voice room. The man that occupied the bed was not a good man. He was here with many broken bones from fleeing the cops. Yet over the three months he had occupied this bed I have sat in this chair beside him and he spoke and I listened. The tales he told me were not of a criminal but of a glorious man.

            He spoke of death as if it was an art form and his tool was fire. This day was just like any other day. My mother was doing her rounds in and my father was at his office and I was seated beside my friend. Frank looked at me. The only thing that he could move was his head.

            “Sky.” He said and I perked up in my chair always ready for another story.

            “Yes.” I answered.

            “Did you bring it?” He asked me and I nodded quickly standing from my chair and digging my hand in my pocket fishing around for what Frank asked me to bring him. It had taken a lot to get the item. I had to resort to stealing just to acquire it. At last I pulled the stainless steel light out of my pocket and showed it to Frank. Frank licked at his lips and tried to move and failed.  “Hurry up. Open it boy.” He said and I opened the light and we both stared at the beautiful flame that danced upon it. “Closer Sky.” He said and I held it closer to him.

            “It's pretty.” I said and he nodded and cleared his throat.

            “Did you bring it?” He asked me and I nodded and went to the corner where I had abandoned my book bag.

            “Shit.” I said.