7) Shall it Begin

Shall it Begin

            I sat in English knowing that Mr. Brown was not coming in today or any other day thereafter. Lamont was among the dearly departed now. Along with Jason and Dorian and my sweet little Jade was home resting. The story she fed her parents and the doctor was that she was almost raped. When she fought back he cut her throat. Luckily I was there to save her. Lucky. I smiled at my own thought.

           I was drawn out of them when the door opened and I saw Mr. Witmon and two other men walk in the room with him. I knew enough about the law to spot a cop when I saw one and the two men with our principle had cop written all over them. I frowned looking down in my text book going over any reason that the police would be showing up in my school.

         I had already spoken to two different ones about Jade so this was something else. They spoke in hushed tones to Mr. Witmon. What could they be saying? I always hated whispering it was just so others could want to know even more what was being said about them.

          “Skylar,” Witmon called me and I could feel the eyes of the whole class fall upon me. I could feel their stares stabbing in my back when I stood up. The cops looked at me, taking a second glance when I wasn’t the normal kid they thought I was going to be. I smiled slightly because people always took a second look at me.

         “Skylar Carright,” The older of the two detectives said and I nodded.

        “Get your stuff and come with us son,” The other detective spoke. I raised an eyebrow and grinned a bit.

         “Am I under arrest,” I asked innocently.

         “Of course not we just have some questions to ask you,” he said and I grabbed my book bag and looked back at Alyssa who was watching me. Maybe wondering what kind of trouble I had gotten myself into. My heart quicken at the moment. Jade knew what I was doing. She could have always called the police on me but she didn’t seem like the type that would betray you. At least she didn’t seem like the type to bring in others to do her dirty work.

           If Jade wanted to get even with me for the game I made her play then she would get it in blood just like I would. Kinder souls we are. Alyssa grabbed my arm looking me in the eyes.

        “Be careful Sky,” she said and I nodded as I walked away. I followed the detectives and Mr. Witmon down to his office. Once we all were inside the door was shut tightly behind us. I sat down as the two detectives sat on the desk in front of me. They were boxing me in making me feel as if I was helpless. Okay I’ll play.

          “W...w…what is this about,” I shuttered on my words like any nervous teenager would. “Am I in trouble?” My voice cracked. I was laying it on thick wasn’t I?

          “We just have a few questions like we said,” the older one said. “I’m detective Ross and this is my partner detective Jones.”

        “Is this about Jade?” I guessed at it again I wondered if I was getting annoying just guessing and not letting them get a word in otherwise.

        “This is a about a Jason Tomas,” Jones said and my heart quicken for half a second. They were here for something real. They were hitting a little too close to home for my liking. Jason has been missing for two days now and it led them to me. I needed to be more careful.

        “Jason,” I said puzzled.

        “Do you know Jason,” Ross said and my eyes slid over to look at him then I remember not to show my cocky side and I shrugged.