04: With Us There's Heartbreak

A/N: YOU GUYS ARE PROBABLY GOING TO KILL ME FOR LAST CHAPTER AND TO BE HONEST I DO NOT BLAME ANY OF YOU. JUST REMEMBER THAT EVERYTHING HAPPENS FOR A REASON.

SONG CHOICE OF THIS CHAPTER: I HATE YOU I LOVE YOU BY GNASH

Riley

I felt an overwhelming nothing in the fact that Farkle Mincus was currently sitting on the steps of my apartment complex. A boy which had always known me but never bothered to stick around after my parents died.

"Haven't seen you in a while." He looked up from his hands looking almost uncertain. His hands not keeping still and his foot taping to the beat of a song stuck forever in his mind.

"Yeah, sorry about that. I just came over here to see if you were okay." That was the partial truth. I have known Farkle Mincus since we were kids and the look of shear panic and distress was never a good sign to me.

"I don't believe you." He smiled at me motioning for me to sit down. "I believe that is the half truth but definitely not the whole truth." I continued. He looked from my eyes to his hands then back to me. Checking out my all black edgy fashion statement.

"I see that you buried the old Riley Matthews far, far, far away from present reality." He said. I sighed while debating what to say next. I had two options. I could completely brush this conversation off and push him father away than I already have, or I could tell him something that I hadn't told anyone in years.

"Well, after my parents died I decided to bury everything, including you." I chose the second one. His eyes went soft and I pleaded with myself to hold back what I was about to regret. "I don't want that. I don't want you to feel sorry for me. I don't want you to care and give me a meaningless hug about something that you don't understand. I don't want anything from anyone."

"It wouldn't be meaningless." He whispered quietly. "And you want something from someone, it's me, Riles. I know that you want something. No matter how much you change yourself and make yourself look different your true and deep feelings and thoughts will always be the same." He told me much louder.

"And what if I don't want them to be the same." I said louder. "What if instead of going back down that dark road I push everyone away."

"You are only going to hurt yourself in the long run." He snapped back at me. His hands were in fists and the tapping of his feet became much more faster. His temper was getting shortened with every word I was saying.

"That's what you don't get! I am already hurting. I am trying to keep myself from ever getting hurt again. I do not want to keep getting hurt, okay." I whispered softly.

"And do you expect yourself not to get hurt with that kittle stunt that you pulled today?" A voice behind me asked. As I turned around my legs went numb. My head felt like it was getting hit with hammers.

Pound.

Pound.

Pound.

"The stunt that I pulled today was the truth. Truth hurts, Friar." I said outing my emotionless mask back on. I bit on my bottom lip to keep the tears from pouring out uncontrollably.

"Yeah, that was the brutal truth. Thanks by the way, you let everyone know our personal problems." He yelled. The tears were starting to form in my eyes. I felt my legs turn into soft jelly as I stood up to face him. "Our business is not their business. No one should know what id going on between us."

"That's the thing, Lucas, there is no us." Saying that last word made my insides pop out of my body. The way that my heart stopped dead in its tracks before realizing that it had to pick up the burden and start pumping again so that I could live. My arms dropped to my sides as I tried to resist the urge of brining my hands to my face to cry.