18. Home Again

Hermione fell asleep. I drew a moustache on her.

We're just arriving on the outskirts of London, so we should be there in about fifteen minutes. We should get changed out of our school robes. I don't know why I even bothered to put them on. I'm so tired that I'm tempted to curl up on top of Hermione and fall asleep. I still have to take the bus home because Mum and Dad are working. Well, Dad is. Mum's taking care of the kids. Ah well.

"Oi," I nudge Hermione with my foot. She jerks awake and wipes a trail of drool from her mouth.

"We're nearly there," I say, pulling my trunk down and taking out the dark purple robes I put on top to wear home. Hermione gets up and stretches. She pulls out a sweater and jeans.

"How come you always wear robes?" she asks.

"Mum and Dad prefer it," I shrug, pulling them on, "I sometimes get away with muggle clothing around the house, but never when I can be seen. They don't like the image it presents."

"Do you have a lot of robes?" she asks, "are they all dark?"

"Nah," I shake my head, "robes are like t-shirts. They come in all different colours and styles. During the summer I'll take you shopping."

"Will your parents let you?" she asks dryly. I cringe.

"Come to think of it, probably not," I admit, "but, they don't have to know."

Hermione grins and closes her trunk.

"So, how're you getting home?"

"Bus," I groan, "you?"

"Same," she grins.

We drag our stuff off the train and line up to go through the barrier. It's freezing and I shiver as we walk outside into the snow.

"At least it's a white Christmas," Hermione says, her teeth chattering.

"I like it better when I'm inside with hot chocolate," I mutter, flinging my right arm out. There's a bang and the bus pulls up.

"Good evening, I am-"

"Yeah, can we get on? It's freezing," I say, handing the guy my trunk. I climb up and fish out a handful of sickles. Hermione is fishing through her purse.

"I got it," I tell her, handing the money to the conductor.

"Oh, thanks," she says.

"So, where to?" the conductor asks.

"Grimald place," Hermione says.

"West end," I say.

We sit down on a bed and hold onto the posts as it slides around.

"So, the Weasleys live in London?" I ask as the bed swings around.

"No, we're staying at a mutual friend's house," she says, "they live a bit out of London."

"Where'd they go the last couple of- AH! Days?" I straighten up and hold on tighter.

"Don't know," Hermione says, "will probably find out toni- OUCH!"

"West end," the conductor calls out.

"Thank God," I sigh, "have a good Christmas. See you in a couple of weeks."

I stagger off the bus. My trunk is thrown off after me and the bus disappears. I grab my trunk and drag it down the street to our house. I unlock the door, not wanting to knock incase I wake the kids. I walk in and stomp the snow off my shoes. I hear footsteps coming down the stairs and Mum appears.