32. Anniversary

Well, this is a fine way to start off our anniversary. Not that's it's officially started yet. I didn't see Draco until this morning, the 24th, because our shifts overlapped. This morning we were talking about whether or not I was going back to Hogwarts, and I told him no, I'm staying here. And he said that I should go back, because it's safer there and then people won't be thinking about me, so they won't figure out who I am (like they're paying that much attention to me, anyway!), so then I told him I want to stay here, because I can study and help here. Then he goes on about how I never listen to him, and how he's just trying to protect me, blah blah blah... It went on for ages, the yelling. We've never fought so badly. Right before he left he told me it'd be better if I'd stuck with the Weasleys, because I'd be in Azkaban right now, and he wouldn't be stuck with me. That hurt more than anything. I hope he doesn't tell anyone who I am. I know he wouldn't usually, but he was so mad and he says stupid things when he's mad. I didn't have patrol tonight, so I've just been waiting at home, hoping that if Fred and George are out there... Well, hoping they're out there...

I put my journal down and wipe my eyes. I'm curled up in an arm chair in the living room. I don't know what to do. Maybe I should leave, maybe Draco and I just won't work. It would be safer for me with the others, they won't hand me over to be tortured and killed or used as bait. And I could be with the twins. I feel safe with them. I glance at the clock. It's five past twelve and Draco still isn't home. I've been married a month and I want out. That's got to be a sign.

"Tippy," I say. She appears in front of me and bows.

"Could you please pack a suitcase for me?"

"Yes, Mistress."

She disappears again and I sigh. I guess this is it. I walk into the foyer and pull on my coat. Tippy appears with a small suitcase. I take it and reach for the door handle. As I do the door swings open. My heart leaps into my mouth and I have a moment of blind panic, before I realise it's just Draco, alone. He stops when he sees me and looks from my face to the bag in my hand and back again.

"You're leaving?" he asks. I bite my lip and nod. He stares at me, looking quite shocked.

"You said this morning you'd be better off without me," I say, "so... You get your wish."

"Autumn, no, I didn't mean it," Draco says, moving towards me. I step around him and move towards the door.

"Did you tell anyone?" I ask.

"No, Autumn, I'd never-"

"Good."

"No!" he grabs my arm, "don't go."

I wiggle out of his grip. I hold one hand out, motioning for him to open his hand, which he does.

"Happy anniversary," I say as I drop my engagement and wedding ring into his hand.

To Be Continued...