24. Draco's Birthday

I slept in the Hospital last night.. Draco is so still, I can barely hear him breathing. Mrs Malfoy had to leave and Mother tried to make me leave too, but there's no way I'm leaving his side!

I sort of feel bad for what I did yesterday, threatening Harry. Snape explained to me what happened, and while it was incredibly stupid of him to use a spell that he didn't understand, I guess he didn't mean to hurt Draco so badly. I feel bad about what I said to Hermione too. It was sadly ironic, calling her a mudblood. I guess the brainwashing is working, but I can't let it!

I stand up and start towards the door to find them both and apologise, when I hear a groan behind me.

"Draco?" I exclaim, leaping back to his side. He opens his eyes, blinking blearily. I take his hand and squeeze it gently. Relief and hope floods through me as he squeezes my hand back.

"I was so worried," I tell him, stroking his face. He tries to speak, but frowns, touching his throat.

"Here," I help him sit up and get him a glass of water, which he downs in one. I get him another one.

"I'll get Madame Pomfrey," I tell him. I fetch her and she sends a house elf to fetch Snape. Madame Pomfrey examines Draco carefully while he drinks his third glass of water.

"I think the scarring will fade," she tells him, "I've never dealt with this curse before, but the counter curse was used fairly quickly, so you should make a full recovery."

"I still think you're gorgeous, even with the scars," I tell him quietly. He winks and downs his fourth glass of water. Snape walks in, looking serious, followed by McGonagall and Dumbledore. I stand by Draco, one hand on his shoulder.

"Miss Turner, will you leave us?" McGonagall asks, "we'd like to speak with Mr Malfoy."

"No, I won't," I reply. McGonagall sighs.

"Mr Malfoy, do you mind her being here?" McGonagall asks. Draco finishes his fifth glass of water and puts it on the bedside table.

"She's my fiance," he says, his voice a little croaky, "if she wants to stay, she stays."

McGonagall glances at my left hand, surprised.

"Very well, if you're comfortable with it," she agrees, "Severus?"

Snape steps forward, looking down his nose at us.

"Would you care to tell us exactly what happened?" he asks. I give Draco's shoulder a gentle squeeze.

"I was in the bathroom," he says, "Potter came in and we argued."

He hesitates, frowning. Please tell the truth.

"I can't remember what we were arguing about," he says, "then we duelled and he cursed me. I don't know what the curse was."

Dumbledore and McGonagall exchange a glance.

"You'll be pleased to know Potter was punished, and your," Snape sneers, "fiance gave him a good scare."

Draco looks at me and I blush.

"What did you-"

"Later," I mutter.

"Well, I think we can all agree both parties have learnt their lessons," Dumbledore says, "Miss Turner, may I speak to you alone?"

I glance at Draco who shrugs. I step outside with Dumbledore who looks down his nose at me, looking very disappointed.

"I heard about what you said to Miss Granger yesterday," he says, "rather inpolite if you ask me. I thought you were going to go with your heart."