21. Branded for Life

Mum and Dad have gone crazy. I'm not allowed out of the house - AT ALL. I'm only allowed out of my room for meals and they've put a spell on my windows so no one can see in. Other than my family, Josie and my tutor, I haven't seen anyone in months! I'm lonely and school-sick. I miss Hermione, Draco and the twins like mad.

On the plus side, the exams are nearly over, which means school will be finished and Draco will be home for the summer. Surely they'll let me see him, right? Ah well, Mum and Dad just got home from a big Death Eater convention. I'm going to go and eavesdrop on them.

I slip out of my room and tip toe across the landing. Mum and Dad are hanging up their coats, arguing.

"He's been disgraced," Dad snaps, "they're worth nothing now! They're in Azkaban!"

"Oh, pish-posh," Mum says, flapping her hands at him, "they'll be forgiven."

"Not this time," Dad argues, "Lucius was in charge of the whole operation and they were outsmarted by kids! The Dark Lord is furious!"

"If we break off the engagement now and they are forgiven, we'll look like fools!" Mum yells, "we have to stick this out! At least until next week when the Dark Lord speaks with us all."

I hurry back into my room as they come upstairs and sprint to my desk, acting as if I was there the whole time.

"Autumn?"

"Yes?" I turn to look at Mum, "oh, you're home."

"Yes, dear," Mum says, "next week you're attending a meeting with us."

"Alright," I smile. Mum nods and sweeps out. What the hell is going on?!

***

"Let me fix your hood," Mum says nervously, "you have to make a good impression."

Mum has been fiddling with my hair, face and clothes all day. First she made me pale with great black rings around my eyes, then she left me plain faced, then darker skin, and finally, my normal skin tone with eyeliner on my waterline and mascara. My hair has been brushed and curled into submissiong and is sitting obediantly in my hood. I'm wearing brand new hooded, black robes - Death Eater robes. Mum starts fussing with the clasp when Dad comes out of his study.

"Oh, leave her alone," he grumbles, "let's go."

We disapparate to the Malfoy Manor and my heart skips. I can't wait to see Draco again. Mum yanks my hood off and we walk into the dining room to find the table nearly full. We take our seats opposite the Malfoys and I give Draco a small smile. He looks so handsome in his black robes, but rather pale. His mother is sitting next to him look drawn.

The Dark Lord enters the room and we all stand up. Once he has been seated we sit down again and wait for him to speak.

"Tonight we welcome two new members to our fold," he says. I nearly giggle at his high-pitched voice, but manage to hold it in.

"The young Mr Malfoy and Miss Turner," he says. I jump at my name and glance at Draco who is staring at the table, looking like he's going to be sick.

"Please, stand up," the Dark Lord says. I do as I'm asked, holding my head high. The Dark Lord examines us for a moment.

"I have heard that you are engaged to be married," he states, "may I see the ring?"

I immediately step forward and walk towards him, trying to seem calm. In reality all my nerves are jumping and my heart racing as I approach the man who murdered my birth parents. Once I reach him I extend my hand. There's a snake curling around his feet, but I try to ignore it. It become more difficult when the snake begins winding around my ankles.