Then Her Heart Stopped Beating Part One

• Dedicated to You

Chapter 24; Then Her Heart Stopped Beating Part One

I'm so sorry. So so so sorry you guys. Its taken me so long to update- and I'm still not even happy with how this chapter turned out. I don't know what's been up with me lately. Either way, that's beside the point: Thank you all for being so patient and kind while waiting for this update. I really appreciate it, so, this chapter is dedicated to you.

Now, on a lighter note; The song on the side is Look After You by The Fray. I love love love The Fray, so make sure you check out the song and let me know what you think!

___________

I woke all too slowly, the sweet solace of sleep and the reality of the morning causing a prolonged battle within my mind. Really, I had no interest in waking; the essence of dreams a superior choice over anything the day specifically held for me. That's why even when the battle had ended, and I made the conclusion falling back to sleep would be nearly impossible, I still lay in my spot.

My eyes were shut tightly, my tired limbs grasping feebly at the pillow in front of me. I wasn't willing to accept (or was even prepared) for the view of the world just yet, the drowsiness that lurked around making me incredibly unwilling to do anything of the sort.

I held the pillow close, nestling it against me and inhaling deeply, realizing Drew's scent had been lingering. It was captivating; comfortable and strong and extremely alluring. Almost like a candle, one that never ceases to burn or melt, forever illuminated and flickering.

So I continued in my spot, entangled, unmoved and unaffected in the midst of the bed sheets. Though once the idea of him entered my mind, my thoughts went into a scatter of memories that I could hardly keep up with or even begin to contain.

Drew Drew Drew. It never mattered how many moments passed, he never vanished in my mind. It was the recurrence of him that kept me grounded, or at least that's what I believed. Somehow he had woven himself into my whole being, finding a place to stay and never abandoning it. And having him there somehow made everything easier, like a breath of fresh air after suffocating for so long.

I loved it.

And as my brain endlessly rummaged throughout it's deepest corners, cracks, and crevasses, I found myself concentrating particularly on last night. First the dinner, a pleasant memory, then the pressing conversation with his mom, which I still wasn't sure if I had entirely recovered from.

Next, the surprising admittance about Kyle, which I had mixed feelings about and wasn't even considering sorting out any time soon. I was just still left with so many unanswered questions- ones that I wasn't even sure would get answered. At least not any time soon.

But above all, the one thing I couldn't get over was the undeniable guilt I felt for Drew, seeing as he had slept on the hard floor all night long while he let me claim the bed. I don't know why it bothered me so much; he had clearly chosen that spot over any couch around the house or the alternative of me moving. For some reason I just felt so terrible; like I was taking so much and was unable to give anything in return.

Though I tried to disregard the thought as I finally rolled over, reluctant to glance at the time on the alarm clock as the room flooded into perspective. It was hazy at first; every line blurred and smeared, every item showing up in multiples. I was in a muddled mess of a daze, but after a few bats of my eyelashes and the occasional rub of my face, my attempts succeeded and my vision had finally become clear.

Even with the room now in full focus, I moved with no precise motivation. My eyes aimlessly wandered from the bed to the closet to the floor, and I frowned deeply as my gaze fell to a particular sight. Beside me was the disheveled heap of blankets, still strewn along the ground in a nest that looked wistfully full of discomfort and horribly wearisome. This is where Drew had slept, but now it was empty, a carcass of covers that he left behind in his wake.