He Was Looking Right Through Me

This is the chapter upload you guys have all been waiting for, finally here and ready to be read. Although, like many of you know, I'm pretty sucky at updating consistently, so if you are a little hazy on the story as of now due to the long gaps in updating periods, here is a little summary before you get started:

(Feel free to scroll down and begin the chapter if you remember everything)

((Also stay tuned for the author's note at the very end of this chapter, and by the way, if you're on your computer then you can probably see the very dramatic Drew crying gif on the side, so yeah))

Summary of a decent amount of of chapters:

Drew and Hailey are at the record store by themselves on a Monday, finally returning after the very dramatic weekend in which too much took place, like Hailey and her mom's fight, a slight cuddling session, Drew's mom finding out about Hailey, a little trip over to Millie's, a small family dinner, the reveal of Drew's brother Kyle and his letter and the fact that he's usually up to no good, Drew's mom agreeing to let Hailey stay at their house, a lot of rain, and now boom, they're at the record store. Odie went on a family vacation and won't be there for the week, so they already knew that they would be alone. The rain lasted throughout their time at the shop, and resulted in a flash flood warning they heard from the radio. They were not too worried, until the lights went out. They searched for candles, found them, lit them, and exchanged stories about their past before dancing. They came very close to a kiss until Drew pulled himself away, and Hailey flipped out slightly, before realizing it was because of his secret. He then revealed his very tragic and depressing secret to Hailey, that included fire and his dad's car shop, and Ally not surviving. Luckily, while they were carried in an ambulance, a paramedic was able to restart her heart, and then there were brief moments of Drew in the hospital. And now, without further ado, here is back to the present with Hailey and Drew.

Chapter 28: He Was Looking Right Through Me

___

The Present: Hailey

"Now you know."

The words were rushed and harsh as they fell from his trembling lips, like bombs exploding brutally into the silence of the record store and leaving behind a wreckage of despair. "Now you know my secret; now you know everything."

He was so lifeless, so still; his body recoiled into a shameful forward slump, the feeling of suffering and regret endlessly flowing from within him and filling the air. I could feel it every time I sucked in a quick, painful breath- the emotion between us too strong and too evident to ignore.

My heart felt wretched as my mouth attempted to create the words being produced in my mind, but nothing came out and the more I tried the more restless I became.

"Drew I- I-"

He pulled his hands away from his face for only a moment, maybe a second or two- but it had been enough. I had seen a mere flicker of his eyes; a glimpse into complete darkness that left me feeling cold and terrified. It was almost as if revealing everything to me had not only killed him, but tore open his body and ripped out his tired, broken soul.

"Just say it Hailey." He whispered breathlessly, "Just say it."

But I had nothing to say. As I sat on the floor of the record store, legs embedded roughly into the carpet, palms sweaty, fingers shaking, my throat ached with unspoken words for the tragically beautiful boy in front of me.

I realized in that moment, that there could never be words that could express my agony, my grief for what he had gone through. There could never be sentences that would be anything but weak attempts to fill the void produced by Drew's secret, obtained now by not only him, but me as well. Nothing I could ever say would be enough.