A Lot Can Happen in Twenty Four Minutes

Chapter 16; A Lot Can Happen in Twenty-Four Minutes

MRSR has reached almost 43,000 reads! Thank you <3

This chapter is dedicated to JusImagine, who seems like a very huge supporter of this story, and I appreciate that more than anyone will ever know.

A special thanks to ohhmygoshxD for the banner!

The song on the side is Evaporate by Gabrielle Aplin, which describes perfectly how Drew feels about Hailey in this chapter.

____

It took me exactly twenty-four minutes to walk from my house to Drew's.

Twenty-four minutes of trudging through the dead heat, still uncomfortable and blistering all the same.

Twenty-four minutes of thinking about nothing but him, the way his eyes made me feel like melting and about the way his voice could sound so smooth at times.

Twenty-four minutes of an internal debate on whether or not this was the worst or best idea I had ever had.

But after twenty-four minutes had passed and I stood at the foot of his doorway, meager sweat collecting on my forehead and shaking with nervousness, I found myself wondering. Wondering when he had started to have that ability; to have this sort of affect on me. The kind where I couldn't get him out of my head, or how even now when just the thought of seeing him made my head spin and my stomach churn.

And all it had taken was one date, one ride home, one day without seeing him, and I was officially caught in his web, without any reassurance or even any reason to think that he was starting to feel the same way as I was. But maybe, I was wrong. Maybe, I had started to become entangled long before I ever realized it. Long before our date, long before the ride home and the day after. Maybe, I had liked him from the start.

But, the thing was, it's not like I hadn't felt something like this before. There were endless times where a boy's smile had made me blush and a simple sentence made me swoon, but this was different. I just knew it was different. It had never had happened so quickly before, and definitely not ever so deeply. There was just something about Drew, something that in the blink of an eye could make you fall. Even if you didn't know everything about him, even if you had hated him at first. He was just someone who could make you feel; well, different. And I knew I wasn't in love with him, because I don't think I could ever be in love, at least, not right now.

But liking someone like this is always how it starts, doesn't it?

I wiped away the sweat with the back of my arm, holding my breath as I looked at the wooden white door in front of me, trying not to think too much about who would open it. Even though I had only spotted his motorcycle in the driveway and no cars were in sight, I didn't want to have to explain the return of his bracelet situation to anyone else. Not only because it was confusing enough for me, but because the whole thing was just an excuse to talk to him, and it definitely wouldn't make any sense to anyone else why I did it immediately instead of just waiting for Monday.

So I continued standing there, my hand balled in a fist as I held it in front of the door. But no matter how badly I wanted to, I couldn't muster enough courage to knock. My mind filled with scenarios of when and if he actually answered the door.

"You came all the way over here to give me back a bracelet?" 

"Why didn't you just wait until work?"

I frowned, letting my thoughts consume me. I was being silly. It's not like I could come right out and say, "I know we've only been on one date, but I kind of like you, but I don't know if you feel the same way, so I came all the way over here. Oh and, here's your bracelet!"