Hugging a Stranger, Anytime Kiddo, and an I.O.U.

Chapter 11; Hugging a Stranger, Anytime Kiddo, and an I.O.U.

okay

so I'm just going to start off by saying thank you everyone so so so much for reading this. I cannot believe it has reached over two thousand reads. thank you thank you thank you!

oh and Happy Memorial Day tomorrow!

_________

There he was.

Leaning against the counter, grinning with his elbow propped atop the register.

Drew.

It was like just at that very moment a huge weight just fell from my shoulders. I could finally breathe for the first time in two weeks. I didn't have to worry about how he was, or where he was, because he was right here in front of me.

But yet, that still left me with one simple question; why had I cared so much in the first place?

"Drew," I whispered, but it was hardly audible. Granted, I was still quite shocked. I thought he might've fallen off the face of the earth or something, or worse, he had been more hurt then from what I could tell on the surface during that night.

Suddenly, Drew's expression changed into something strange, and he looked kind of worried. His dark eyebrows furrowed, his lips parted slightly. "Are you okay Hailey?" he asked, and that's when I realized I had been staring. And also not saying anything.

Two bad combinations. I probably looked like a creep.

And then before I could even realize what I was doing, my feet started moving and my pace quickened towards him. And then before I could stop myself, I threw my arms around him.

I knew I probably shouldn't do this, but it was kind of too late now. Oh well.

So here I was, hugging a jerk. A complete jerk, who I had been terribly worried about, who I had wondered whether or not was okay. Who could be really annoying, freaks me out half the time, who is really stubborn and difficult. And a stranger, none the less.

But could I really call him a stranger anymore?

"W-woah," Drew muttered, stumbling backwards from the force of my hug, which yeah, was a little forceful. But it didn't matter, I was just glad he was okay.

"Maybe I should leave more often. I didn't think you appreciated my help that much around here." he chuckled jokingly as I pulled away.

Then my mind caught up with my body, and I realized what I had just done. And being me, my face flushed, because it was a little embarrassing. I took a few steps back away from him, internally yelling at myself for being so childish and and stupid.

I looked up at him, hoping he didn't notice that my cheeks were probably burning red like I knew they were.

"I was just so worried. I didn't know if you were okay, and you weren't answering any of Odie's calls-"

"I'm alright." he said calmly, interrupting my worried ramble. "Or at least I am now."

Now his cheeks turned red, and his eyes bulged a little. I don't think he meant to say that. Actually, I'm pretty positive he didn't mean to say that, because then he got all flustered.

"I- um. That's not what I meant." he covered, "Or I mean- um, just- just never mind." I watched him as he he retreated from the counter and took quick strides towards the back room, shutting the door behind him once inside.

Then it hit me.

Wait a minute, what the heck was that?

Like seriously, did that really just happen?